Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFL Dimmer Switches

I'm replacing a chandelier with a million of incandescent chandelier bulbs
with a regular multi-bulb fixture. I'd like to still be able to dim the
fixture. Has anyone used dimmer switches designed to work with regular CFL
bulbs, like this one (or any other brand, for that matter)

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-DVWCL-1...mmable-Dimmer-
Wallplate/dp/B004C2WTLU

Any comments on how reliable they are, whether they seem to burn out bulbs
early, whether the dimming works well, etc.?

These switches seem to be only about $10 to $15 more than a comparable
regular one, and I'd rather not start buying a bunch of dimmable CFLs if I
can just buy one switch and use the same CFLs I've bought for the rest of
the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Selt Perner wrote:
I'm replacing a chandelier with a million of incandescent chandelier
bulbs with a regular multi-bulb fixture. I'd like to still be able
to dim the fixture. Has anyone used dimmer switches designed to work
with regular CFL bulbs, like this one (or any other brand, for that
matter)

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-DVWCL-1...mmable-Dimmer-
Wallplate/dp/B004C2WTLU

Any comments on how reliable they are, whether they seem to burn out
bulbs early, whether the dimming works well, etc.?

These switches seem to be only about $10 to $15 more than a comparable
regular one, and I'd rather not start buying a bunch of dimmable CFLs
if I can just buy one switch and use the same CFLs I've bought for
the rest of the house.

"Works with most dimmable CFL/LED bulbs" says it all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in -
september.org:

Selt Perner wrote:

I'd rather not start buying a bunch of dimmable CFLs
if I can just buy one switch and use the same CFLs I've bought for
the rest of the house.

"Works with most dimmable CFL/LED bulbs" says it all.

Oh man, that's what I get for skimming the product description.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 8:50*pm, Selt Perner wrote:
"Bob F" wrote -
september.org:

Selt Perner wrote:
I'd rather not start buying a bunch of dimmable CFLs
if I can just buy one switch and use the same CFLs I've bought for
the rest of the house.

"Works with most dimmable CFL/LED bulbs" says it all.

Oh man, that's what I get for skimming the product description. *

Yeah -there was a reent discussion on that, I missed the disclaimer
the first time around also. Most of the dimmers do work better when
there are some incandescents on the same dimmer as the CFLs, but I
don't have any knowledge of the supposedly "better" dimmers for
dimmable cfls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Avoid ALL "dimmable" CFL's (consumer type screw-in incandescant
replacement)

Been there done that, refunded the customers money.....

We have tried a number of brand samples from the Lightfair 2010 in Las
Vegas...

none work great most cause the lamp to change to an unsatisfactory color as
its being dimmed......let me rephrase that most dimmable CFL's change
color temp as they are dimmed......regular incandesant dimmer or dimmer
designed for fluor use or the type used for neon by diversified products (
better but not by much)

Dimmable CFL's are not a mature technolodigy. be careful.

I use them in my home only because I have some samples leftover that I dare
not sell.

ps they don't last worth a damn.

HLH

"Selt Perner" wrote in message
I'm replacing a chandelier with a million of incandescent chandelier bulbs
with a regular multi-bulb fixture. I'd like to still be able to dim the
fixture. Has anyone used dimmer switches designed to work with regular
CFL
bulbs, like this one (or any other brand, for that matter)

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-DVWCL-1...mmable-Dimmer-
Wallplate/dp/B004C2WTLU

Any comments on how reliable they are, whether they seem to burn out bulbs
early, whether the dimming works well, etc.?

These switches seem to be only about $10 to $15 more than a comparable
regular one, and I'd rather not start buying a bunch of dimmable CFLs if I
can just buy one switch and use the same CFLs I've bought for the rest of
the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 8:31*pm, Selt Perner wrote:
I'm replacing a chandelier with a million of incandescent chandelier bulbs
with a regular multi-bulb fixture. *I'd like to still be able to dim the
fixture. *Has anyone used dimmer switches designed to work with regular CFL
bulbs, like this one (or any other brand, for that matter)

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-DVWCL-1...mmable-Dimmer-
Wallplate/dp/B004C2WTLU

Any comments on how reliable they are, whether they seem to burn out bulbs
early, whether the dimming works well, etc.?

These switches seem to be only about $10 to $15 more than a comparable
regular one, and I'd rather not start buying a bunch of dimmable CFLs if I
can just buy one switch and use the same CFLs I've bought for the rest of
the house.

Exactly what I have left that is still incandescent. Breakfast area
that takes 6 bulbs and has a dimmer. Family room with a 4 bulb
fixture on a ceiling fan and a dimmer. All the dimmers I had other
places I decided I could live without so I put regular switches back
in.

What I think we need is a controller for these multi bulb fixtures
that would let you pick how many bulbs get turned on. The switch half
would need to mount in the place of a wall switch and still work with
just 2 wires. It would have to send a signal on top of the power to
the fixture. That would work with cfls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 12:47*am, "Harrison Lighting and Neon"
wrote:
[...]

the house.- Hide quoted text -

Another problem is that they don't dim over a wide range like an
incandescent
bulb will. You can dim them some amount, maybe 40% or so, then they
go out.
And while dimmed, at least with a regular controller, there can be
very noticeable
humming.

And Congress, who knows what's best for all and thinks the sheeple are
too
stupid to figure out what's best for them, is shutting down
manufacture of
most incandescents.

Dimmer Switches Trevor Smith UK diy 42 February 12th 09 09:29 AM
Dimmer switches & fans Arthur 51 UK diy 7 May 1st 08 12:36 PM
3 way dimmer switches cj Home Repair 6 January 17th 07 12:07 AM
Dimmer Switches The Medway Handyman UK diy 30 October 21st 06 10:05 AM
Dimmer Switches Steven Campbell UK diy 7 August 27th 05 06:45 PM