Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmer switches & fans

Hi all.
If a suitable dimmer switch is added between the desk fan and wall
socket
would it provide 'infinitely' variable fan speeds?

And if possible what components should I use?

Thanks.
Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

Hi all.
If a suitable dimmer switch is added between the desk fan and wall
socket
would it provide 'infinitely' variable fan speeds?

A fan is an inductive load, and lamp dimmers arent usually up to
inductive loads.

Otherwise yes, down to a point. If you run the fan too slow it risks
stalling ans frying.

And if possible what components should I use?

to do what, make a dimmer?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr, 12:07, wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
If a suitable dimmer switch is added between the desk fan and wall
socket
would it provide 'infinitely' variable fan speeds?

A fan is an inductive load, and lamp dimmers arent usually up to
inductive loads.

Otherwise yes, down to a point. If you run the fan too slow it risks
stalling ans frying.

And if possible what components should I use?

to do what, make a dimmer?

NT

Thanks.

To make a desk fan that includes dial/button that will
provide variable fan speed.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Arthur 51 wrote:

Hi all.
If a suitable dimmer switch is added between the desk fan and wall
socket
would it provide 'infinitely' variable fan speeds?

A fan is an inductive load, and lamp dimmers arent usually up to
inductive loads.

Otherwise yes, down to a point. If you run the fan too slow it risks
stalling ans frying.

And if possible what components should I use?

to do what, make a dimmer?

NT

Srry. Re-reading yur question...
A lamp dimmer switch seems unsuitable from yur description so is there
another
component type I could use?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 05:06:48 -0700 (PDT),it is alleged that Arthur 51
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

On 30 Apr, 12:07, wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
If a suitable dimmer switch is added between the desk fan and wall
socket
would it provide 'infinitely' variable fan speeds?

A fan is an inductive load, and lamp dimmers arent usually up to
inductive loads.

Otherwise yes, down to a point. If you run the fan too slow it risks
stalling ans frying.

And if possible what components should I use?

to do what, make a dimmer?

NT

Thanks.

To make a desk fan that includes dial/button that will
provide variable fan speed.

Arthur

Hi Arthur, a word of warning here, the output from a dimmer is far
from a sinewave, it's [to be non technical] all spiky and has sharp
edges! I am not sure how this would affect a table/desk fan, but on a
ceiling fan I once connected to a dimmer (temporarily until I could
get a matching normal light switch) it buzzed so horribly even at max.
speed that I had to ask the householder to promise to only use the
light part till the switch turned up.

--
_
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign against html e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arthur2 wrote:
A lamp dimmer switch seems unsuitable from yur description so is there
another component type I could use?

A dimmer suitable for an inductive load should work after a fashion. So
one suitable for low voltage lighting where a true transformer is used
should be ok.

If you're handy with a soldering iron Maplin etc do kits for motor speed
control. A Google should also find something.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AJH wrote:
On Thu, 01 May 2008 09:38:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

If you're handy with a soldering iron Maplin etc do kits for motor speed
control.

I bought one of these Vellermann kits when Mr Plowman recommended it
years ago, to control the motor in an Earlex vacuum used as a blower,
it worked well apart from needing a new thyristor and a bit of track
shorted. It does control a small induction motor but only by
increasing the lag, which I suspect means there are larger heat losses
somewhere.

Was the heatsink/cooling adequate? I've used one of these for many a year
- at one time it controlled the speed of a drill in a stand, but now is
just used wherever needed. But even with a universal motor it doesn't work
too well at very low speeds.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Poll - dimmer switches John Rumm UK diy 6 September 26th 07 12:07 AM
3 way dimmer switches cj Home Repair 6 January 17th 07 12:07 AM
Dimmer Switches The Medway Handyman UK diy 30 October 21st 06 10:05 AM
Dimmer Switches Steven Campbell UK diy 7 August 27th 05 06:45 PM
Inline dimmer switches Tim Downie UK diy 8 October 9th 03 10:42 AM