Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ideas to remove 50-year old 2-inch diamater galvanized "nipple"under kitchen sink

On Jan 26, 6:06*pm, Harold Lathom wrote:
I need to remove an old pipe and need ideas as to how to remove it.

The 50-year-old 2-inch diameter threaded galvanized pipe that
horizontally protrudes about a half inch from the cabinet under the
kitchen sink is leaking where it meets the 10-year-old plastic pipes that
drain the kitchen sinks and garbage disposal unit.

The threads are all screwed up so I want to replace the nipple.

I can only see the last 1/2 inch of that threaded nipple but it appears
to go through the 3/4" thick kitchen cabinet into the wall about two
inches (or so) and into a T fitting where the vertical up pipe goes to a
vent on the roof while the vertical down pipe goes to the crawlspace
drain pipes.

The problem is how best to remove the four-inch long (I assume) nipple
when only 1/2" of it sticks out of the cabinet attached to the wall.

One option, of course, is to rip out the cabinet, but, that's a LOT of
work to replace a two-dollar four-inch-ling two-inch-wide nipple!

Is there an easier way to get the 50-year-old nipple out?

You will need this tool:

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...le-pipe-wrench

I would recommend making a sleeve for the “plug” using a short piece
of 1 ½” copper pipe to bring it up to 1 ¾” when you insert it in to
your 2” galvanized pipe so that it doesn’t get completely crushed
while you’re removing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 11:41*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jan 26, 6:06*pm, Harold Lathom wrote:

Is there an easier way to get the 50-year-old nipple out?

You will need this tool:

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...le-pipe-wrench

Have you ever used one of their tools? It's pretty weird that
apparently all of their tools only exist as computer drawings. I
didn't see a photograph of a single tool - even the simple things. Go
figure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:41:14 -0800, Molly Brown wrote:
You will need this tool:
http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...le-pipe-wrench

Now THAT is the kind of tool idea I was looking for!

Who'd have thought a "right angle pipe wrench" even existed!

The description says:
The Perfecto Right Angle Pipe Wrench is the best tool for the worst jobs.
Set the wrench head on the pipe or stubborn nut and make sure the grip is
tight. Then insert the extension piece into the socket on the wrench
head. Now you are ready to twist away.

And, I like the idea of the "crush proof pipe plug" so that the 50-year-
old threads sticking out aren't crushed inward by the force of the pipe
wrench.

I'm surprised it has enough leverage; but that's what the T handle is
for, I guess.

It's not easy to find prices but they have a store selector so I should
be able to call in the daytime tomorrow to find prices. I might even be
able to rent it somewhere now that I know what to ask for.

This seems like the perfect tool for the job, albeit it may be expensive.

I also found, on that same web site, this "Outside Easy Out":
7000-EO - Perfecto Outside Easy-Out
http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...tside-easy-out

The description says:
Perfecto's Outside Easy Out offers another way to remove stubborn pipe
nipples when an ordinary wrench won't fit. Simply tighten the bolts
around the nipple and turn the Easy Out with a Meter Key.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:00:39 -0800, RicodJour wrote:
It's pretty weird that their tools only exist as computer drawings.

Interesting. But man, what weird tools they have!

I'm not a tool collector, but, if I were one, I'd be salivating over
these specialized tools!

I'm still looking for prices on the net (maybe will have to call
tomorrow) but the catalog sure has some GREAT looking tools (diagrams
only though - no pictures whatsoever!).

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/uploads/pdfs/
PerfectoBinderCatalog_2010.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 06:20:58 +0000, Harold Lathom wrote:
This seems like the perfect tool for the job, albeit it may be
expensive.

Looks like the right angle pipe wrench is about 225 bucks:
http://www.faucetdepot.com/prod/Perf...-Pipe-Wrench-%
28Super-Deluxe-Kit%29-20059.asp

Not cheap. But cheaper than a plumber!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:00:39 -0800, RicodJour wrote:
It's pretty weird that apparently all of their tools only exist
as computer drawings. I didn't see a photograph of a single tool -
even the simple things. Go figure.

You know. I find them all over the web now when I search for "right angle
pipe wrench".

All the drawings (so far) are drawings. No pictures. That "is" weird.
http://toolmonger.com/2008/08/05/rig...e-pipe-wrench/

http://www.nextag.com/Perfecto-1700-...36/prices-html

http://www.faucetdepot.com/prod/Perf...-Pipe-Wrench-%
28Super-Deluxe-Kit%29-20059.asp

http://home-and-garden.become.com/pe...e-pipe-wrench-
super-deluxe-kit--compare-prices--sc1154031766

I wonder why there aren't pictures of the thing ... just drawings???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2011 12:39 AM, Harold Lathom wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 06:20:58 +0000, Harold Lathom wrote:
This seems like the perfect tool for the job, albeit it may be
expensive.

Looks like the right angle pipe wrench is about 225 bucks:
http://www.faucetdepot.com/prod/Perf...-Pipe-Wrench-%
28Super-Deluxe-Kit%29-20059.asp

Not cheap. But cheaper than a plumber!

Pssst! Harold, "http://tinyurl.com/" :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 9:00*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 26, 11:41*pm, Molly Brown wrote:

On Jan 26, 6:06*pm, Harold Lathom wrote:

Is there an easier way to get the 50-year-old nipple out?

You will need this tool:

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...le-pipe-wrench

Have you ever used one of their tools? *It's pretty weird that
apparently all of their tools only exist as computer drawings. *I
didn't see a photograph of a single tool - even the simple things. *Go
figure.

I have one in my truck and I can even tell you where you can buy one
if you're in Southern California.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:18*am, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jan 26, 9:00*pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Jan 26, 11:41*pm, Molly Brown wrote:

On Jan 26, 6:06*pm, Harold Lathom wrote:

Is there an easier way to get the 50-year-old nipple out?

You will need this tool:

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...le-pipe-wrench

Have you ever used one of their tools? *It's pretty weird that
apparently all of their tools only exist as computer drawings. *I
didn't see a photograph of a single tool - even the simple things. *Go
figure.

I have one in my truck and I can even tell you where you can buy one
if you're in Southern California.

Please post a picture. I find it really odd that someone would use a
computer graphic instead of an actual photograph of their product.
That's vaporware territory.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 7:57*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:18*am, Molly Brown wrote:

On Jan 26, 9:00*pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Jan 26, 11:41*pm, Molly Brown wrote:

On Jan 26, 6:06*pm, Harold Lathom wrote:

Is there an easier way to get the 50-year-old nipple out?

You will need this tool:

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...le-pipe-wrench

Have you ever used one of their tools? *It's pretty weird that
apparently all of their tools only exist as computer drawings. *I
didn't see a photograph of a single tool - even the simple things. *Go
figure.

I have one in my truck and I can even tell you where you can buy one
if you're in Southern California.

Please post a picture. *I find it really odd that someone would use a
computer graphic instead of an actual photograph of their product.
That's vaporware territory.

R- Hide quoted text -

Mine looks just like this. I almost always use a couple of pipes a
cheater bars with it.

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdep..._source=become

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote: