Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ideas to remove 50-year old 2-inch diamater galvanized "nipple" under kitchen sink

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 02:06:53 +0000 (UTC), Harold Lathom
wrote:

I need to remove an old pipe and need ideas as to how to remove it.

The 50-year-old 2-inch diameter threaded galvanized pipe that
horizontally protrudes about a half inch from the cabinet under the
kitchen sink is leaking where it meets the 10-year-old plastic pipes that
drain the kitchen sinks and garbage disposal unit.

The threads are all screwed up so I want to replace the nipple.

I can only see the last 1/2 inch of that threaded nipple but it appears
to go through the 3/4" thick kitchen cabinet into the wall about two
inches (or so) and into a T fitting where the vertical up pipe goes to a
vent on the roof while the vertical down pipe goes to the crawlspace
drain pipes.

The problem is how best to remove the four-inch long (I assume) nipple
when only 1/2" of it sticks out of the cabinet attached to the wall.

One option, of course, is to rip out the cabinet, but, that's a LOT of
work to replace a two-dollar four-inch-ling two-inch-wide nipple!

Is there an easier way to get the 50-year-old nipple out?

How about just cleaning it up and epoxying a fitting to it to take
the plastic????
Chances of removing it without doing further damage inside the wall
are remote, at best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*How about just cleaning it up and epoxying a fitting to it to take
the plastic????
Chances of removing it without doing further damage inside the wall
are remote, at best.

yeah, it's a drain pipe, right?
no pressure

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:54:40 -0500, clare wrote:
How about just cleaning it up and epoxying a fitting to it to take
the plastic????

In effect, what I've done, so far, is just that.

Only I used plumbers pipe dope in a can, number 4 IIRC. I just gooped it
on until the leak stopped. But, of course, that's only a temporary fix.

I guess I could just epoxy the whole thing up, and maybe silicone it too.
In fact, I think that's my "last resort" as it should work.

It wouldn't be something to be proud of ... but ... it should work.
Thanks for the idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:09:14 -0600, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I'd be tempted to get some 2" hose a couple hose clamps.

You know, I had never thought of that. Since it's a no-pressure drain,
and, since it's under the kitchen sink, maybe the fact I wouldn't be
proud of the looks of it wouldn't matter.

But then do I just clamp the other side of the hose to the typical black
plastic drain fittings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 04:13:10 +0000 (UTC), Harold Lathom
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:09:14 -0600, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I'd be tempted to get some 2" hose a couple hose clamps.

You know, I had never thought of that. Since it's a no-pressure drain,
and, since it's under the kitchen sink, maybe the fact I wouldn't be
proud of the looks of it wouldn't matter.

But then do I just clamp the other side of the hose to the typical black
plastic drain fittings?

I'm not familiar with the various clamp-on fittings available, but as
others have said, they're available, and they'll work.
Personality, I'd pull the cabinet and get a wrench on the nipple.
If you do that, and use a steady pressure on your wrench, it should
come out with no damage to the T.
Don't go jerking on it.
But you don't know until you do it.
If the original plumber didn't turn the nipple in far enough, there
may not be many usable threads left in the T.
Maybe the vertical pipes in the T have rusted enough to break.
Then you end up going into the wall, and maybe beyond.
Still, since I'm a glutton for punishment I'd pull the cabinet/sink.

If you go the clamp on route and only have 1/2" sticking out,
you might want to use a deep hole saw a bit wider than the nipple
and cut out the cabinet back around the nipple.
Then you can slide the new fitting beyond the 1/2" showing.
Go a little big with the hole saw size. Easier to fill a gap than
file the entire hole to make it big enough for the fitting.
If it's a rigid fitting the nipple outside and fitting inside could be
doped with epoxy and allowed to set.
That's a "permanent" method.
But I'd use the hole first so I could slide a flexible rubber fitting
well past the threads, then hose clamp at the threads.
If it needed dope I'd use a non-hardening dope.
Makes it easily removable.
Auto radiator hose should work.
But maybe they make plumbing fittings for this kind of deal.
A new close nipple glued or clamped at the other end restores
your original connection, albeit flexible.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 23:30:48 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:
But I'd use the hole first so I could slide a flexible rubber fitting
well past the threads, then hose clamp at the threads. If it needed dope
I'd use a non-hardening dope. Makes it easily removable.

For this idea, cutting a wide berth around the pipe DOES give us some
useful access.

It would give us the width of the cabinet (about 3/4 inch) extra room to
slide the hose and hose clamp on.

I've never heard of this type of "pipe hose" so I'll google as that is
one idea to add to the list of how to fix this leak.

At the moment, it's holding with LOTS of pipe dope (#4 stuff) but I don't
expect that to last long so I will have to do something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harold Lathom wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:09:14 -0600, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I'd be tempted to get some 2" hose a couple hose clamps.

You know, I had never thought of that. Since it's a no-pressure drain,
and, since it's under the kitchen sink, maybe the fact I wouldn't be
proud of the looks of it wouldn't matter.

But then do I just clamp the other side of the hose to the typical black
plastic drain fittings?

Don't know.

This is an example of a T Bolt clamp. They clamp pretty tight. It
might be easier to use for your problem.
http://tinyurl.com/4cu9qr4

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fermco couplers, I think they are called. Excellent idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus