Posted to alt.home.repair
Harold Lathom Harold Lathom is offline

Default Ideas to remove 50-year old 2-inch diamater galvanized "nipple"under kitchen sink

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 23:30:48 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:
But I'd use the hole first so I could slide a flexible rubber fitting
well past the threads, then hose clamp at the threads. If it needed dope
I'd use a non-hardening dope. Makes it easily removable.

For this idea, cutting a wide berth around the pipe DOES give us some
useful access.

It would give us the width of the cabinet (about 3/4 inch) extra room to
slide the hose and hose clamp on.

I've never heard of this type of "pipe hose" so I'll google as that is
one idea to add to the list of how to fix this leak.

At the moment, it's holding with LOTS of pipe dope (#4 stuff) but I don't
expect that to last long so I will have to do something.