Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing A Good Size Hole In Ceiling ?

Hello,

Lots of good advice on my previous Post regarding the damage from a
pinhole leak in Copper water pipe in my ceiling. Much thanks to all.
Tis is really a great Forum.

Would probably be willing to try re-plastering the damaged section
myself to save some $. So, the following questions, please:

Obviously, I cut out the water damaged section first.
This is on the ceiling.

a. Can I assume that I got all of it, or should I put some shellac, or
something, over the raw drywall edges ?

Is the ceiling probably made from what is called Drywall, or is it
termed Plasterboard, or... ?
BTW: 35 year old house.

b. There seem to be many, many, spackling type of products available.
I'm not even sure that Spackling Compound is the right product word for
what I want to do.

The damaged section, after being cleaned out, and removed, is
about 6" wide by perhaps 18" length.

What product do I want to use ?
Brand, etc.? Very specific suggestions would be appreciated.

c. I guess I have to put something in the cutout first, to have a
semi-rigid "something" to push the spackle, or whatever, against.
I read about the trick of using a board, with a light cord to hold it
down, wedged into the hole.
And about using crushed newspaper, etc.
How would a Professional Plasterer go about it ?

In this modern day age of ours, how is this handled ?
I think I really need something in the hold to push the spackle against,
don't I ?

Any hints, or thoughts on doing all this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob