Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing A Good Size Hole In Ceiling ?

On Jan 26, 3:04*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:

Put a 20 x 10 inch piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood thru the hole,
diagonally so it will go thru, and then rotate it so that it covers
the hole. *Use 4 drywall or sheetrock, they're both the same, screws
in the 4 sides to hold the plywood in place. *A drywall screw in the
middle of the plywood before putting it thrui the hole will make it
easier to position and hold until the 4 perimeter screws are in place,
then remove the handle. * Now cut a piece of new drywall to fit the
opening, and use 4 drywall screws to screw the new drywall to the
plywood. *Use some drywall compound, any brand will do, mixed with a
little white glue and force it into the seam between the old and new
drywall. *Wait overnight for that to dry, and then tape the seam and
mud over the patch until it blends in with the rest of the ceiling.
Any brand of drywall mud is fine, *the trick is to use several layers
and sand between each layer. *A light held to the side but close to
the ceiling will show any irregularities. *A couple of coats of paint
and you will be a hero.

Yes, what he said.

And, here are some YouTube videos describing the same basic technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pedAiIzFZhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2ac118Fho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZW64rfhNQM

I don't know about the part where it says to add salt to the mix to make it
dry fast. *I never heard of that one before.- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't add salt, it might weaken the mud. Just be patient. Or,
you could set up a fan to blow on the area to speed up the drying
proces. But, it the mud is very thick/deep, the surface can dry while
the lower (or in your case -upper) layers of mud are still damp..
Then when you sand all hell will break loose.