Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One problem replaced by another. OIl furnace burns, stops after9seconds

On 1/21/2011 11:31 AM, RBM wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
On 1/20/2011 10:41 PM, RBM wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
On 1/20/2011 7:29 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tony Miklos wrote:

On 1/20/2011 2:24 PM, RBM wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
On 1/20/2011 7:40 AM, mm wrote:
So everything was fine, and now my oil furnace starts, runs for
about
9 seconds with a good yellow flame, and stops.

In a while I can press reset and then the same thing happens.

9 seconds is not enough time for the fan to go on, of course. Now
it
might be even a little shorter.

Hellllllllp!

"A good yellow flame"? No such thing. That's bad, it should be
mostly
blue with yellow tips. If it's running that poorly, the optical
sensor is
probably smoked up and shuts itself down. Clean off the sensor then
try
adjusting the air for a blue flame with yellow tips.

You do realize that this is an oil burner??

Yes. And I've watched pro's adjust them and I've done it myself many
times. A yellow flame is going to build up a lot of soot in no time.
Actually blue may not be best, try for a white/blue flame with yellow
tips. And if you're picky, I'll change "optical sensor" to "photo
cell". Yellow is not acceptable, unless you want the same problems
the
OP has.

I took (and passed with a perfect grade) an oil burner service course,
and there were no blue or remotely blue flames anywhere in and of the
burners we worked on, only very bright yellow, which might look white
some folks.

Well you could have me on the very bright yellow looking white. What
color are or should the tips be? That's the only place I see yellow and
never orange.

Just for the record Tony, further searching turned up your blue flame oil
burners. It is not a standard oil burner, but a specially designed burner
which produces this blue flame. Typical garden variety burners make
yellow
flames, Blue Ray type burners make blue flames.

http://wetheadmedia.com/how-to-troub...tt-oil-burner/

Problem: “The flame on my Beckett burner is yellow not blue”

Solution: This means that you need to adjust the air intake on the fan.
You can do that by adjusting the squirrel cage baffles located on the side
of the burner.

I must admit, I don't see much about blue flames in today's search but
there are still quite a few of them out there if you search enough.
Although today's search seems to have blue flames in the minority.

I also found a neat Popular Science article about a blue flame heater from
in the 50's maybe, but I lost it again. It was a circular burner where
the burning oil heated up the fuel oil until it became a gas, then it
burned blue. I was also working on a homemade waste oil heater that burns
white/blue, I may get around to it again by spring.

Even this thread made it into google already, into a D Y I dot B a n t e r
dot com.

The advice given on the link you post, is from some guy with a blog, not
Beckett, so I question it's accuracy. Again, I'm not a burner tech, but I
have worked on literally hundreds of Becketts, and I've never seen one burn
anything but some variation of yellow. It is also possible that Beckett
makes a blue flame burner

No, I suppose I was just wrong. My only excuse is I hadn't worked on
one for about 7 years, and when I double checked and the first link I
clicked on said to go for a blue flame, well, it lead me on.

I can now remember the almost blindingly bright yellow flame that was so
bright it made looking for the flame tips difficult.

When I think of it now, a blue flame that large with a fan blowing it,
it would probably burn through a steel firebox in no time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 6:05*am, Colonel Polyps wrote:
On Jan 21, 5:20*am, mm wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 05:12:08 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:
How old is this furnace?

31 years. *I thought I was the last one using the original furnace,
but asking around I have found at least 3 others of the 109 of us.

I also found the original instructions on-line and dividing output
btus by input btus, it was 80% efficient. *Not sure what it would be
cleaned or uncleaned now. *The Bryant they sold my meighbor last
summer has an EPA label that it's 81.5% efficiient.

Exterminate the christian government

oink