Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Uh, fun ..............

Did some work today on a metal awning, measurements, about 15' x 15'6". Cut
the sheets 16', and will trim in place to mate to gutter. Tomorrow, I'm
going to have to put up the topmost purlin, attaching it to the stucco face
of the enclosure. I am working by myself, so there is a lot of up and down
ladders. I think I will take two 8' or so 3" x 3" x .120" tubes, and hang
them over the parapet about a foot, and anchor them with a bucket of water
on the long end. Should be enough leverage to lift a 15' trimmed purlin up
at two attachment points. I have some rigging eyes that have a bolt on the
end, and a nut, which I will probably drill. Then stringline the grade, and
adjust the two other purlins setting on top of four 3x3 posts.

It's been a long time since I wrestled with this stuff, and am sore today
from hoisting 20 footers around and trimming. But, if I go slow and safe,
it should to okay. I will take some pics.

Youth is squandered on the young.

Then, I have to raise a mast with a big metal halide light/transformer
combination over my shop on a 12' pole. I will weld a swivel pad eye on the
bottom, a stop, and raise it with my ATV part ways, and come along the rest
of the way, having three guy wires on it.

As I say, I can do this, but it sure is getting to be a hassle to wrestle
this steel at my age. I used to be able to carry a 20' 3x3x.120 stick by
myself.

Not any more.

Just hope I don't fall off anything, or nothing busts .....................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

[...]

Would you rather be working on a ********? That's what I've been doing.

"Why is my vinyl all grey around the toilet" the lady asks a bit back.

Only thing I had to loosen was the supply line. Came right up. There were
two LAG bolts there - floating lag bolts. House like 60 years old.
Chuckling once I pulled vinyl to replace subfloor. It looked like a
patchwork quilt - 3/4 pine pieces, 3/4 subfloor pieces, 1/2 plywood
pieces, 1/4 plywood squares, luan fillers, hardwood flooring strip
fillers. All these over the old 3/4 original T&G boards on the joists.
One joist cut half way to make room for the 3" PVC that has some grey
soft metal thing used as a closet ring. Looked almost like lead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in
:

[...]

Went out today, and it started a nice day. Then the wind blew up to 40. I
shut it down, but did manage to get the big purlin hung on the wall, so now
I can stringline them, cant them, weld it up, and slap the sheets on there.
A FULL day would do it, but probably two partial days.

I hate those projects where you have to break into old stuff. More
prevalent in the east where there are older houses.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Never around when you really need them, are they?

And I used to do this for a living. It's amazing what one guy can do if he
knows what he's doing. But, it is much easier with two people.

Here are some photos of what I got done today before the wind blew in at
forty. Have to now align tops, weld them on, install sheets, and mount
guttering.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve