Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Uh, fun ..............

Did some work today on a metal awning, measurements, about 15' x 15'6". Cut
the sheets 16', and will trim in place to mate to gutter. Tomorrow, I'm
going to have to put up the topmost purlin, attaching it to the stucco face
of the enclosure. I am working by myself, so there is a lot of up and down
ladders. I think I will take two 8' or so 3" x 3" x .120" tubes, and hang
them over the parapet about a foot, and anchor them with a bucket of water
on the long end. Should be enough leverage to lift a 15' trimmed purlin up
at two attachment points. I have some rigging eyes that have a bolt on the
end, and a nut, which I will probably drill. Then stringline the grade, and
adjust the two other purlins setting on top of four 3x3 posts.

It's been a long time since I wrestled with this stuff, and am sore today
from hoisting 20 footers around and trimming. But, if I go slow and safe,
it should to okay. I will take some pics.

Youth is squandered on the young.

Then, I have to raise a mast with a big metal halide light/transformer
combination over my shop on a 12' pole. I will weld a swivel pad eye on the
bottom, a stop, and raise it with my ATV part ways, and come along the rest
of the way, having three guy wires on it.

As I say, I can do this, but it sure is getting to be a hassle to wrestle
this steel at my age. I used to be able to carry a 20' 3x3x.120 stick by
myself.

Not any more.

Just hope I don't fall off anything, or nothing busts .....................

Steve