Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub overflow problem

Hi,

Our tub leaks into the basement when filled to the overflow which
always seems to end up happening when anyone takes a bath. Kids tend
to move around a lot so even if it is not filled up to the overflow it
ends up being pushed in anyway.

Is this something a plumber can fix? We don't have easy access behind
the tub. Our kitchen cabinets are on the other side. I found one
website that said that most bathtub overflows leak especially after
several years from settling and the gaskets drying out. They
recommended not filling the tub to the overflow which I keep telling
people not to do yet it keeps happening.

I would appeciate any advice on this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 8:41*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,

Our tub leaks into the basement when filled to the overflow which
always seems to end up happening when anyone takes a bath. *Kids tend
to move around a lot so even if it is not filled up to the overflow it
ends up being pushed in anyway.

Is this something a plumber can fix? *We don't have easy access behind
the tub. *Our kitchen cabinets are on the other side. *I found one
website that said that most bathtub overflows leak especially after
several years from settling and the gaskets drying out. *They
recommended not filling the tub to the overflow which I keep telling
people not to do yet it keeps happening.

I would appeciate any advice on this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hi,
Remove the cover and look over flow drain pipe is slipped or you add
rubber gasket. Once you remove the cover things will become obvious.- Hide quoted text -

He probably does not have a front cover to remove unless it is a
jacuzzi style bathub. To OP, can you access the tub drain/overflow
area from underneath?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 5:53*pm, " wrote:
Hi,

Our tub leaks into the basement when filled to the overflow which
always seems to end up happening when anyone takes a bath. *Kids tend
to move around a lot so even if it is not filled up to the overflow it
ends up being pushed in anyway.

Is this something a plumber can fix? *We don't have easy access behind
the tub. *Our kitchen cabinets are on the other side. *I found one
website that said that most bathtub overflows leak especially after
several years from settling and the gaskets drying out. *They
recommended not filling the tub to the overflow which I keep telling
people not to do yet it keeps happening.

I would appeciate any advice on this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

You tub drain was clogged so you called someone to snake it out for
you. The person who did the work removed the overflow plate and pushed
the snake in from there. In doing so he moved the tube and overflow
gasket or maybe even caused the gasket to fall off altogether. You
need to open the plumbing access panel behind the tub and confirm that
this is what really happened and if so call that guy who unclogged
your tub drain and have him fix it for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2011 11:55 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jan 17, 5:53 pm, wrote:
[...]

OP has already stated he has no access panel (few builders bother to put
those in), and no place to put one, since tub wet wall backs up against
the kitchen cabinet wall. If he can't solve problem through overflow
front trim plate, he's SOL. Fix will be expensive.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 1:53*am, " wrote:
Hi,

Our tub leaks into the basement when filled to the overflow which
always seems to end up happening when anyone takes a bath. *Kids tend
to move around a lot so even if it is not filled up to the overflow it
ends up being pushed in anyway.

Is this something a plumber can fix? *We don't have easy access behind
the tub. *Our kitchen cabinets are on the other side. *I found one
website that said that most bathtub overflows leak especially after
several years from settling and the gaskets drying out. *They
recommended not filling the tub to the overflow which I keep telling
people not to do yet it keeps happening.

I would appeciate any advice on this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

The overflow is normally connected to the waste pipe right under the
bath. You need to take the front panel off the bath and have a look
at what's going on, it sounds like it's come adrift somehow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 11:53*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jan 17, 5:53*pm, " wrote:

[...]

your tub drain and have him fix it for free.- Hide quoted text -

Yep. I have snaked it out this way myself after I watched a plumber
do it once. Our tub connects to the kitchen sink further on down the
line and I get these weird backups where water starts backing up into
the tub and it smells bad and the only way to snake it out is from the
tub overflow.

I do have access from underneath. The basement is not finished. But
there is not a lot of room to get up at things. Floor joists etc...

I don't even remember which plumber was the first one to snake it out
that way. I've used several. I've had this problem for years now and
never fixed it since it only happens every now and then and it's not a
ton of water. But I'm sick of it now and want to fix it.

Is it a big job for a plumber? There's no access behind the tub
without ripping through the cabinets and I would live with the leak
before doing that.

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 5:53*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

You might be surprised how easy it is to remove kitchen cabinets.
Typically just some screws from inside. If you have a couner on top
of it lossen the screws into it from under the adjacent cabinets and
you will be able to lift the counter enough to slide the cabinet
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 04:21:59 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 17, 11:53Â*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jan 17, 5:53Â*pm, " wrote:

You tub drain was clogged so you called someone to snake it out for
you. The person who did the work removed the overflow plate and pushed
the snake in from there. In doing so he moved the tube and overflow
gasket or maybe even caused the gasket to fall off altogether. You
need to open the plumbing access panel behind the tub and confirm that
this is what really happened and if so call that guy who unclogged
your tub drain and have him fix it for free.- Hide quoted text -

Yep. I have snaked it out this way myself after I watched a plumber
do it once. Our tub connects to the kitchen sink further on down the
line and I get these weird backups where water starts backing up into
the tub and it smells bad and the only way to snake it out is from the
tub overflow.

If the kitchen sink is backing up into the tub it's the sink line that
needs snaking.

I do have access from underneath. The basement is not finished. But
there is not a lot of room to get up at things. Floor joists etc...

I don't even remember which plumber was the first one to snake it out
that way. I've used several. I've had this problem for years now and
never fixed it since it only happens every now and then and it's not a
ton of water. But I'm sick of it now and want to fix it.

Is it a big job for a plumber? There's no access behind the tub
without ripping through the cabinets and I would live with the leak
before doing that.

If you can't get in from the basement, you pull whatever cabinet is in
the way.
If you have to pull the sink/countertop first, you do that.
It's not a big deal for the plumber if you have the cabinets cleaned
out and tell him you'll take care of re-caulking or re-grouting the
counter backsplash.
Maybe an extra hour or two, depending if he runs into "issues."

I can't take a bath in a tub that gets pipe filth in it.
My tub drain slowed once to the point where getting in a full tub
caused the overflow tube to fill, then sloshing water sucked back
drain crap particles into the bath water.
After that I cleaned the drain before it got bad.
Not with a snake.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 5:53 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Is there a shiny cover over the overflow drain, with a screw in the center. If
that's what was removed to snake it out, you need to remove it again, and
reposition or replace the gasket behind it, between the pipe going down and the
tub. Snaking out that line likely moved the pipe enough that the origional
gasket either shifted or fell out completely.

Take off the plate, and push on the pipe with a screwdriver so you can slip in a
new gasket between the pipe end and the tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:58:31 -0800, "Bob F"

On Jan 17, 5:53 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Agree.

Block the tub drain or tape it so we don't drop the screw in there.

(The gasket has a bevel shape..)

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/a/16082d1233279181-bathtub-leak-tub-waste-overflow.jpg?stc=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2011 7:56 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

Our tub leaks into the basement when filled to the overflow which
always seems to end up happening when anyone takes a bath. Kids tend
to move around a lot so even if it is not filled up to the overflow it
ends up being pushed in anyway.

Is this something a plumber can fix? We don't have easy access behind
the tub. Our kitchen cabinets are on the other side. I found one
website that said that most bathtub overflows leak especially after
several years from settling and the gaskets drying out. They
recommended not filling the tub to the overflow which I keep telling
people not to do yet it keeps happening.

I would appeciate any advice on this problem.

Aside from the obvious solution of requiring everyone to shower, your best
bet is to CREATE an access panel behind the tub.

Cut a large opening through the kitchen cabinet and adjoining wall. When
done, cover the hole with a removable plate of 1/4" plywood or similar.

An access panel is standard - unless impossible (like the tub is adjacent to
an outside brick wall).

SHOULD be standard, yes. IS standard, no. And when house is designed,
tub wet wall should back up onto a closet or similar space where SWMBO
won't gack at the sight of 'that ugly thing'. I've known people who
drywalled over their access panels just to shut the missus up, even
though they knew damn well they'd have to hack another hole there sooner
or later.

Anybody who puts a wet wall on an outside wall should be beaten. Usually
can't avoid it in a kitchen, but you can usually bring the feed and
drain lines straight up through the floor to avoid freeze and access
problems. Straight shot through the cabinet base, and make any turns
down below.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2011 2:55 PM, Oren wrote:
(snip)
Block the tub drain or tape it so we don't drop the screw in there.

Chuckle. I think most of us have done that at least once, if not with a
tub drain or some other drain, in a carburetor throat or spark plug
hole. Sucks when that happens, especially when you were Almost Finished.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
On 1/18/2011 2:55 PM, Oren wrote:
(snip)
Block the tub drain or tape it so we don't drop the screw in there.

Chuckle. I think most of us have done that at least once, if not with
a tub drain or some other drain, in a carburetor throat or spark plug
hole. Sucks when that happens, especially when you were Almost
Finished.

I helped a neighbor fish a washer out of his carburator just yesterday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:50:12 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
On 1/18/2011 2:55 PM, Oren wrote:
(snip)
Block the tub drain or tape it so we don't drop the screw in there.

Chuckle. I think most of us have done that at least once, if not with
a tub drain or some other drain, in a carburetor throat or spark plug
hole. Sucks when that happens, especially when you were Almost
Finished.

I helped a neighbor fish a washer out of his carburator just yesterday.

Working a carburetor once, a steel ball bearing decided to jump out an
travel across the floor. What a hoot finding it and still making the
vehicle run.

Flexible WC overflow? The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 12 June 23rd 14 12:23 PM
Kenmore Washing Machine Water Overflow Problem. Charles[_5_] Home Repair 3 February 13th 09 02:25 AM
bath overflow [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 07 04:13 PM
Overflow Tube [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 5th 07 07:01 PM
New cistern, no overflow? Ben Blaukopf UK diy 4 February 6th 04 09:20 PM