Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can "wattage" trip a GFCI?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:27:33 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I was discussing worklights with a friend. I told him that I have one
of these 500 watt units:

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-wat...ght-40123.html

In one email he said:

"I like the idea of these lights, but every time I purchase one for
use, they trip the GFCI receptacle in my garage. I've had to return
every light that I've purchased and have given up on the idea."

When I said that I've used this light in the rain more than once
without any problem, he replied with:

"I believe that it's the pure wattage requirements of these lights,
more than their quality (or lack thereof) that caused my GFCI to
trip."

Does that make any sense?

If it was an current overage the breaker would trip not the GFCI so
why would a "high wattage" device trip the GFCI?

If more than one set of new lights causes a trip, I would suggest the
existing GFCI may be too sensitive. Changing the GFCI might work.

500W is not a heavy load. It is about 1/4-1/3 max. You could test
how sensitive it is by plugging in a drill or a kitchen appliance.