Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trusses

I have a 24' X 32' pole barn, 10' sidewalls with the trusses on 2 foot
centers. I would like to put in a small loft in the back. Would it be
possible to remove 2 of the trusses and reinforce the rafters with 2X6
to make it easier to get around?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 8:14*pm, c1gmlm wrote:
I have a 24' X 32' pole barn, 10' sidewalls with the trusses on 2 foot
centers. *I would like to put in a small loft in the back. Would it be
possible to remove 2 of the trusses and reinforce the rafters with 2X6
to make it easier to get around?

Thanks

Ok, this means (1)you will be up in the loft and (2)probably storing
things up there too plus it has to support the area where you removed
the trusses. The existing trusses may be out of spec from just the
first two changes in there operating conditions. Best answer would be
to contact the company that built the trusses on this matter.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"c1gmlm" wrote in message
I have a 24' X 32' pole barn, 10' sidewalls with the trusses on 2 foot
centers. I would like to put in a small loft in the back. Would it be
possible to remove 2 of the trusses and reinforce the rafters with 2X6
to make it easier to get around?

Thanks

An engineer dealing with that sort of thing can tell you. Additional
support may be needed. Doing it wrong may result in serious structural
damage and it may take a while for it to manifest itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 5:14*pm, c1gmlm wrote:
I have a 24' X 32' pole barn, 10' sidewalls with the trusses on 2 foot
centers. *I would like to put in a small loft in the back. Would it be
possible to remove 2 of the trusses and reinforce the rafters with 2X6
to make it easier to get around?

Thanks

The trusses were sized to handle the roof loads.

Unless you (or someone else) does calcs for the framing modifications
you're contemplating,
there is no way to know if they will do the original job (supporting
the roof) and new job (supporting the loft).

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 8:14*pm, c1gmlm wrote:
I have a 24' X 32' pole barn, 10' sidewalls with the trusses on 2 foot
centers. *I would like to put in a small loft in the back. Would it be
possible to remove 2 of the trusses and reinforce the rafters with 2X6
to make it easier to get around?

Thanks

I presume you mean manufactured trusses. Yes, You need to use the
span charts to size the lumber. That will insure that you still have
enough spport. Basically you convert the area with trusses to
conventional stick building.

Check the span charts for the appropriate sized 2 by lumber for a
regular roof joist. Cut and place them next to the trusses you wsh to
remove. Make sure they go from the top of the wall to the ridge
beam. They do not need to extend out past the top of the wall so you
do not have to cut a bird mouth. Nail them to the existing truss and
at the ends. Cut away the parts of the truss you wish to eliminate.

How will you support this loft? Will it have support from the ground
floor? Otherwise you should also replace the lower edge of the truss
with the appropriate floor joist. Again use the span tables to find
out what size 2 by lumber you need. If you add any uprights from the
ground you still use the span tables to select floor joists.

Trusses [email protected] Home Repair 27 May 19th 07 04:38 PM
Loft trusses Jonni UK diy 10 July 10th 06 05:03 PM
Stregthen trusses [email protected] Home Repair 23 May 9th 06 03:57 PM
How do I stiffening floor trusses? Dan Oelke Woodworking 20 March 24th 05 02:25 AM
Trusses Bullwinkle J. Moose Woodworking 19 January 6th 05 04:41 AM