Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat powerful enough for my electric baseboards

I live in a house with electric heat. The baseboards have been there
for many years and are working fine. The thermostat in my bedroom is
not working well, the dial is very loose so you can't really set the
temperature accurately at all. The thermostat is probably 30 years
old.
I want to upgrade to a programmable thermostat which I've already done
in another of our bedrooms. My bedroom however is bigger and has two
baseboards. One is 2500 Watts and the other is 750 Watts.
The thermostat I bought says it's good for 1750W@120V - 14.6A and
3500W @240V - 14.6A
My baseboards are wired for 240

It would seem that I'm ok using this right?
2500 + 750 = 3250 watts which is below the rating of the thermostat.
And 3250/240 = 13.5 Amps...

So it seems like I'm ok...but I just want to check first.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MikeA" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, you are fine with that stat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 6:00*pm, MikeA wrote:
I live in a house with electric heat. The baseboards have been there
for many years and are working fine. The thermostat in my bedroom is
not working well, the dial is very loose so you can't really set the
temperature accurately at all. The thermostat is probably 30 years
old.

Wouldn't you like to put your entire house on setback?

I want to upgrade to a programmable thermostat which I've already done
in another of our bedrooms. My bedroom however is bigger and has two
baseboards. One is 2500 Watts and the other is 750 Watts.
The thermostat I bought says it's good for 1750W@120V - 14.6A and
3500W @240V - 14.6A
My baseboards are wired for 240

It would seem that I'm ok using this right?
2500 + 750 = 3250 watts which is below the rating of the thermostat.
And 3250/240 = 13.5 Amps...

So it seems like I'm ok...but I just want to check first.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 6:07*pm, Michael B wrote:
On Dec 29, 6:00*pm, MikeA wrote: I live in a house with electric heat. The baseboards have been there
for many years and are working fine. The thermostat in my bedroom is
not working well, the dial is very loose so you can't really set the
temperature accurately at all. The thermostat is probably 30 years
old.

Wouldn't you like to put your entire house on setback?

What do you mean put the house on setback?
Thx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 5:09*pm, MikeA wrote:
On Dec 29, 6:07*pm, Michael B wrote:

On Dec 29, 6:00*pm, MikeA wrote: I live in a house with electric heat. The baseboards have been there
for many years and are working fine. The thermostat in my bedroom is
not working well, the dial is very loose so you can't really set the
temperature accurately at all. The thermostat is probably 30 years
old.

Wouldn't you like to put your entire house on setback?

What do you mean put the house on setback?
Thx

I think he means to use thermostats that have a built-in timer that
allows you to program different temperatures at different times of the
day/night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeA wrote:
[...]

The margin for error is a bit low, but it should be oke for some years.
The next higher would be better though.