Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Infrared Red Scanning....

On 12/28/2010 6:28 PM, SBH wrote:
.....for the home. Is it worth it?
I repaired a loose connection in an outlet on an exterior wall. Upon
doing so, I noticed a draft of cold air from under the outlet.
Therefore, I temporarily plugged it. Directly under the that area in the
basement above my drop ceiling panels, also on the exterior wall, is
another draft which appears to be coming from the side door area. Two
summers past, I used expand foam and caulk along the entire side of the
house and filled in some questionable areas around the door with cement
(threshold area), hoping I might conquer this draft. Nope, nothing doing
and it's aggravating. Therefore, the infrared red scanning idea comes to
mind. I need to find this leak, along with other reasons why part of my
house is colder than the rest.
Inputs?
Thanks

Take a look at the EXTECH i5 Compact Infrared Thermal Imaging Camera:

http://www.extech.com/cameras/product.asp?prodid=492

The unit is sold by the HVAC supply outfit Johnstone Supply Company.
Their price is $1,595.00 but you could give them a call if there is
a branch in your area and ask them if they have sold one to a local
HVAC contractor and if they would be willing to give you the name of
the contractor because you would like to have a survey done. Perhaps
someone at Johnstone could also do it for you and use your case as a
demonstration for some of their customers?

TDD