Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-condition table lamps

On 12/28/2010 4:54 PM spake thus:

On 12/28/2010 6:49 AM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

I bought 2 end-table lamps years ago. Neither cheap nor expensive,
like the common fare at a decent dept. store. 95% metal, the bottom
1/3 is brass (or similar) plated steel (according to my magnet),
the upper 2/3 is evidently real brass.

The bottom 1/3 of each is corroding and looks pretty bad.

I don't wanna spend $100 for another pair of rustable lamps. Would
like to re-condition what I have.

What can be done with plated steel? Surface-prep and paint?
Anything else come to mind?

Look into having it replated...might not cost much. I've had stuff
silver- and brass-plated, many years ago, and neither was very expensive
at the time.

True that--maybe.

I guess I'm lucky, in that I'm within walking distance of a place (in
Berkeley) that does metal plating and finishing. Dunno what they charge.

If you go that route, you'll want to disassemble the lamp, separate the
parts that need refinished, and clean them up first. Sandpaper, steel
wool, wire wheel, whatever weapons you have at hand. This should make a
bit less work for the plater, and hopefully less $$$.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.