Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Diamond tip drill bits and saw blades

I'm wondering if the cost of diamond tipped blades and bits may rise in
the near future. One of the biggest fastest growing fad in jewelry is
"chocolate" and "black" diamonds. In the past most all brown and black
diamonds ended up on tools. Now they are getting good money for them in
jewelry stores.

Actually most of the diamond tipped tools people here use are often made
out of such small "scraps" of diamonds that maybe there won't be a
difference. But in heavy industrial applications that use sizable
diamonds to cut with could find some real competition with jewelers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 2:40*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
I'm wondering if the cost of diamond tipped blades and bits may rise in
the near future. *One of the biggest fastest growing fad in jewelry is
"chocolate" and "black" diamonds. *In the past most all brown and black
diamonds ended up on tools. *Now they are getting good money for them in
jewelry stores.

Actually most of the diamond tipped tools people here use are often made
out of such small "scraps" of diamonds that maybe there won't be a
difference. *But in heavy industrial applications that use sizable
diamonds to cut with could find some real competition with jewelers.

You can buy a man made diamond up to ½ carat (with larger ones soon to
be made available) that cannot be distinguished from a natural diamond
unless you have an instrument called a DiamondSure or DiamondView
tester which are apparently so expensive that the company that sells
them doesn’t even list their price on their web-site:

http://www.giainstruments.co.uk/index.cfm

The only force that’s keeping the price of diamonds from falling
through the Earth’s crust where they came from is the titanic efforts
of a British company called De Beers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2010 12:24 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:58:18 -0500,
wrote:

On 12/12/2010 1:49 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:40:07 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

I'm wondering if the cost of diamond tipped blades and bits may rise in
the near future. One of the biggest fastest growing fad in jewelry is
"chocolate" and "black" diamonds. In the past most all brown and black
diamonds ended up on tools. Now they are getting good money for them in
jewelry stores.

Actually most of the diamond tipped tools people here use are often made
out of such small "scraps" of diamonds that maybe there won't be a
difference. But in heavy industrial applications that use sizable
diamonds to cut with could find some real competition with jewelers.

There never has been a shortage of diamonds. The "gem grade" are just
price controlled by the company that sells 99.9% of them.

Plus, I believe, lot of industrial diamonds are man made.

Gem quality can be manufactured, cheaply, too. Their only "flaw" is that
they're too perfect. It's scaring the crap out of DeBeers. They're trying to
force manufacturers to mark the diamonds as such. DeBeers is about the
sleaziest business on the planet. I've been boycotting them for decades. ;-)

I wasn't sure of the quality but knew industrial grades were cheap to
make. GE scientist told somebody I knew that they could make diamonds
out of any carbon source, even peanut butter.

There's still a lot of cutting and faceting involved in jewelry so it
will never be dirt cheap.

It would be funny if someone made diamonds out of carbon dioxide and
touted them as good for the environment because they reduced pollution.
DeBeers would have a **** fit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:42:15 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 12/12/2010 12:24 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:58:18 -0500,
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

They're making them out of human remains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwvv3Mtthdg
http://mymemorialdiamond.com/MemorialDiamond/

There's still a lot of cutting and faceting involved in jewelry so it
will never be dirt cheap.

That's done in sweatshops around the world, too. The only thing that keeps
diamonds expensive is DeBeers.

It would be funny if someone made diamonds out of carbon dioxide and
touted them as good for the environment because they reduced pollution.
DeBeers would have a **** fit

I think you're onto something, but I think you've been beaten to the punch
(see the end of the YouTube video above). ;-)

What drill speed for a diamond core drill Steve UK diy 7 July 11th 09 10:49 AM
diamond core bits Jack Home Ownership 0 March 16th 07 08:59 AM
Diamond blades,saws,dics,cutters,cutting tools,files,sharpeners,core drill bits,mounted points [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 1st 05 08:09 PM
Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits? JWho Metalworking 18 November 20th 05 07:07 AM
Diamond hones and carbide scraper blades ss Metalworking 4 November 6th 03 04:49 AM