Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Hose Freeze Protection

I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet is
sheltered in the basement.

We are due for some cold weather (12F).

I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 9:00*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet is
sheltered in the basement.

* *We are due for some cold weather (12F).

* *I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

* *Jeff

You don't need to drain the hose but it would be prudent to disconnect
it from the faucet.

Even high end rubber hoses do deteriorate over time. If you are
finished using it for the season and can store it out of the weather I
would.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2010 9:00 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet is sheltered
in the basement.

We are due for some cold weather (12F).

I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

Jeff

I leave mine out. They will deteriorate faster but sunlight and heat
are probably worse than cold. Plastic spray heads don't like the cold
and should be removed. I don't have problem with metal ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2010 9:20 AM, Frank wrote:
On 12/9/2010 9:00 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet is sheltered
in the basement.

We are due for some cold weather (12F).

I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

Jeff

I leave mine out. They will deteriorate faster but sunlight and heat are
probably worse than cold. Plastic spray heads don't like the cold and
should be removed. I don't have problem with metal ones.

Thanks to you and jamesgangnc. I'll bring in the water timer and not
worry about it for the time being. Got enough on my plate!

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 9:20*am, Frank wrote:
On 12/9/2010 9:00 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet is sheltered
in the basement.

We are due for some cold weather (12F).

I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

Jeff

I leave mine out. *They will deteriorate faster but sunlight and heat
are probably worse than cold. *Plastic spray heads don't like the cold
and should be removed. *I don't have problem with metal ones.

I agree, cold is not generaly a problem. I was thinking that it's
another 4 months of sunlight that could be avoided. Sunlight is the
worst.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2010 09:00 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet is sheltered
in the basement.

We are due for some cold weather (12F).

I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

Jeff

Yes, drain the hose or else you risk having the connections on either
end being bent or cracked. Plus if you want to use the hose in the
winter it won't be plugged up with ice. I often use my hose in the
winter on the pressure washer to remove the brown frozen salt slush off
the car or truck. I keep the pressure washer in the basement. Quick
disconnects are nice too.

--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-09, Jeff Thies wrote:

I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

Yes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-09, Jeff Thies wrote:

* *I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

Yes

No - If it is a decent quaity, it will expand with the ice formation.
Now the connectors on the ends are a different story. Plastic
fittings and plastic garden sprinklers, etc, cannot take the expansion
and will almost surely crack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Jeff Thies typed:
I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet
is sheltered in the basement.

We are due for some cold weather (12F).

I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain
the hose or not?
Jeff

It's always best to darin a hose when it's going to be stored for long
periods of time. That way whatever minerals, acids, whatever in the water
won't get a long term chance to work on the rubber. Especially true for
real rubber hoses. They'll last forever. Also be sure they're rolled
neatly - no kinks to force separation of rubber/plies, whatever.
It's so quick & easy I do it when I bring the hoses in for the winter,
before freezing temps arrive.
If it can get below freezing, definitely drain them.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:08:08 -0500, Jeff Thies
wrote:

GFY, I won't be responding top any more nonsense from you.

FFffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkk
YYYyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww