Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Better low-flush toilets

On 12/8/2010 2:12 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Having just replaced a toilet for a friend yesterday, just wanted to
plop in my observations here for those who might be looking to do the same.

The toilet being replaced was a low-flush one, not very old, but in a
basement bath with a history of clogging problems. So my friend got a
new low-flush unit which was supposed to be much better at disposing of
waste. When I got a look at the tank I could see why: instead of the
normal outlet and flapper, this one had a 4" opening, significantly
larger. Which means that the water whooshes into the toilet a lot faster.

We'll see if it makes a difference.

I don't remember the make, but he got it at Home Despot, so I assume
it's available pretty much anywhere.

One weird thing, though: instead of being at the bottom of the tank like
you'd expect, the flapper sits a couple of inches up on an extension.

More gravity working for you. Water height.

Got a Kohlar Cimmaron 1.28 here (literally). Beats the pants off my old
toilet. Never clogs. Flushes super quick. Amazing.

Jeff

This is obviously by design. Seems strange to leave that much water in
the bottom of the tank; there must be some reason for this.
(Hydrodynamics?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 4:59*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I recently installed a 1.28 gpf American Standard toilet. 3 inch
flapper, large siphon hole. Flapper sits pretty much on the bottom of
the tank.

It flushes great, but I've got a concern about what happens after the
waste leaves the bowl.

We get roots in our pipes and end up with partial blockages and
gurgling toilets once every year or so. $35 to rent a 100 foot snake
clears the problem. The money is nothing, it's the pick-up, clean-up
(yuck!) and drop off that's a pain.

Anyway, my concern is that with 20% less water moving waste through
the pipe I'm going to get blockages sooner since things won't be
moving along quite as quickly and could get caught sooner.

What I save on water will be dwarfed by what it'll cost to replace the
sewer pipe to eliminate the problem.- Hide quoted text -

It's the roots that's the problem, not the toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2010 3:17 AM, harry wrote:
On Dec 9, 4:59 am, wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff wrote:

[...]

I killed mine with, I believe, some kind of copper sulphate solution.
Googling for root killer I ran across this:

http://www.rex-bac-t.com/p-23-rootx-...FYGW7QodSkui0w

Something like that may be worth a try.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Dec 9, 3:17 am, harry wrote:
On Dec 9, 4:59 am, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff Thies
wrote:

[...]

It's the roots that's the problem, not the toilet.- Hide
quoted text -

"It's the roots that's the problem, not the toilet"

err...no sh*t. (pun intended)

However, from a real life perspective, it really doesn't
matter what's to blame. The point is that if 1.6 gallons
move the stuff fast enough to move it past the roots but
1.28 gallons won't, my "partial blockages" might occur
sooner.

In other words, if I'm willing to live with snaking the
pipes every 18 months but not every 6 months, then using
the 1.28 GPF toilet might require me to replace the sewer
pipe. From that perspective, I'd be replacing the pipe
because I replaced the toilet.

I have the same root problems in two houses. I have used
copper sulfate for years, uncertain whether it helps. CuS
has gotten pricey. I'm going to try flushing a handful of
(water softener) salt pellets every couple of weeks. Hope
they will get caught in roots and remain active longer than
the CuS that passes through quickly.

Replacing the pipe means opening the slab floors (and moving
the furnace at one house). Big job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryce wrote:

I have the same root problems in two houses. I have used
copper sulfate for years, uncertain whether it helps. CuS
has gotten pricey. I'm going to try flushing a handful of
(water softener) salt pellets every couple of weeks. Hope
they will get caught in roots and remain active longer than
the CuS that passes through quickly.

Replacing the pipe means opening the slab floors (and moving
the furnace at one house). Big job.

Don't know if this would work, but it might be worth a try...

Hang, or drop, a cloth bag of those salt pellets in the tank. Some amount of
them will dissolve with each flush, keeping the drain rather briney. If you
have to replenish the bag every month, the technique would seem worthwhile -
once a day, not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 10:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff wrote:
[...]

just flush it twice. Or get an old 3.5gal toilet from a sale.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff *wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

"just flush it twice. "

Right. Like it make sense to upgrade your toilet for better efficiency
(and for other reasons in my case) and then to flush it, wait for the
tank to fill up and then flush it again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Worth watching the metal. Some ionic salts are destruction to metal
parts. Might be better to flush some lumps of whatever. Water softener
pellets, maybe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bryce"
wrote in message ...

Hang, or drop, a cloth bag of those salt pellets in the
tank. Some amount of them will dissolve with each flush,
keeping the drain rather briney. If you have to replenish
the bag every month, the technique would seem worthwhile -
once a day, not so much.

Thanks! I may try that, with frequent peeks into the tank to
see how the assortment of metal (brass, copper, steel) parts
are coping with the new flavor.

After my earlier post, I realized it's CuSO4, not CuS. Sigh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff wrote:
[...]

well no one's forcing these people to use these "modern" toilets, then
bitch about them. I find perfectly fine and usable 3.5 gallon units at
sales all the time. I always use them especially when it is a long run
to the main or septic tank.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"just flush it twice. "

Right. Like it make sense to upgrade your toilet for better efficiency
(and for other reasons in my case) and then to flush it, wait for the
tank to fill up and then flush it again.

1. Well, the 1.6 gallon tank DOES fill quickly...

2. This illustrates how government agencies work at cross purposes. Follow
along:

a. One agency mandates low-flow toilets to save water ("It's for the
children").
b. Another encourages everyone to eat more fruits and vegetables.

The latter scheme results in a greater percentage of "floaters" than the
previous diet of meats (which resulted in more "sinkers"). It's generally
the "floaters" that mandate multiple flushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2010 4:15 PM, HeyBub wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
"just flush it twice. "

Right. Like it make sense to upgrade your toilet for better efficiency
(and for other reasons in my case) and then to flush it, wait for the
tank to fill up and then flush it again.

1. Well, the 1.6 gallon tank DOES fill quickly...

2. This illustrates how government agencies work at cross purposes. Follow
along:

a. One agency mandates low-flow toilets to save water ("It's for the
children").
b. Another encourages everyone to eat more fruits and vegetables.

The latter scheme results in a greater percentage of "floaters" than the
previous diet of meats (which resulted in more "sinkers"). It's generally
the "floaters" that mandate multiple flushes.

Now THERE'S A MAN WHO KNOWS HIS TURDS......

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
"just flush it twice. "

Right. Like it make sense to upgrade your toilet for better efficiency
(and for other reasons in my case) and then to flush it, wait for the
tank to fill up and then flush it again.

1. Well, the 1.6 gallon tank DOES fill quickly...

2. This illustrates how government agencies work at cross purposes. Follow
along:

a. One agency mandates low-flow toilets to save water ("It's for the
children").
b. Another encourages everyone to eat more fruits and vegetables.

The latter scheme results in a greater percentage of "floaters" than the
previous diet of meats (which resulted in more "sinkers"). It's generally
the "floaters" that mandate multiple flushes.

Now THERE'S A MAN WHO KNOWS HIS TURDS......

Smarter than ****, huh!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff wrote:
[...]

Let me run the purchase of somebody else's used toilet past the wife.

I'll let you know how that works out. ;-)

It's a piece of frickin porcelain. Your wife needs help.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff wrote:
[...]

Does she think all the public toilets and hotel toilets are all brand new?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Replaced, nightly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

Let me run the purchase of somebody else's used toilet past the
wife.

I'll let you know how that works out. ;-)

Does she think all the public toilets and hotel toilets are all brand
new?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
"just flush it twice. "

Right. Like it make sense to upgrade your toilet for better efficiency
(and for other reasons in my case) and then to flush it, wait for the
tank to fill up and then flush it again.
1. Well, the 1.6 gallon tank DOES fill quickly...

2. This illustrates how government agencies work at cross purposes. Follow
along:

a. One agency mandates low-flow toilets to save water ("It's for the
children").
b. Another encourages everyone to eat more fruits and vegetables.

The latter scheme results in a greater percentage of "floaters" than the
previous diet of meats (which resulted in more "sinkers"). It's generally
the "floaters" that mandate multiple flushes.

Now THERE'S A MAN WHO KNOWS HIS TURDS......

Smarter than ****, huh!?

I seem to remember the singing California Raisins, someone could do an
ad campaign with singing...... um, never mind. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2010 11:23 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
The Daring wrote:

I seem to remember the singing California Raisins, someone could do an
ad campaign with singing...... um, never mind. :-)

TDD

I think South Park covered that pretty thoroughly, Duf.

Adolescent boys and old men like my favorite Christmas song too. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKpB3E8deSw

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff * * *wrote:
[...]

Try a laxative. It'll relax you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:44 pm, Jeff * * *wrote:
[...]

Wow! My little joke bothered you so much you had to reply twice?

Chill out...it's almost Christmas.

Better low-flush toilets Robert Neville Home Repair 4 December 9th 10 04:26 PM
Better low-flush toilets Oren[_2_] Home Repair 0 December 8th 10 09:15 PM
Better low-flush toilets DGDevin Home Repair 0 December 8th 10 08:21 PM
Dual flush toilets Fred UK diy 4 June 29th 09 12:22 PM
Automatic Flush Toilets caissie Home Repair 7 January 19th 06 06:44 PM