Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

Default OT How expensive would it be to add wireless technology to a glucose meter?

I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. It seems like a pretty simple
thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales. One
adapter, many devices.

With a USB port you could even feed information into the device with a
flash drive.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

On Dec 1, 3:23*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). *It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. *It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. *It seems like a pretty simple
thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales. *One
adapter, many devices.

With a USB port you could even feed information into the device with a
flash drive.

I think bluetooth would be cheaper. Range is shorter though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. It seems like a pretty simple
thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales. One
adapter, many devices.

With a USB port you could even feed information into the device with a
flash drive.

try asking on sci.electronics.design

it might be more complex than you realize.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. It seems like a pretty
simple
thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales.
One
adapter, many devices.

The actual cost of the additional electronics would not be much if it
was designed as an all-in-one unit and mass produced.

The thing is these gizmos use microcontrollers. And someone needs to
program the microcontrollers to do those additional functions. That
would be expensive. But if you are selling hundreds of thousands of
units, then that cost could be spread out and would be relatively
inexpensive per unit.

As to modifying *that* specific gizmo to do this, forget it! The
microcontrollers for things like that have the programming "burned in"
when the chip is manufactured and chances are the chip it is using has
just enough capacity to do what it currently does - no more.

There would be chips available with more memory and additional
capabilities and those might cost 50 cents more per unit. But they are
not going to buy that chip if the extra functionality is not needed.
They want to keep the cost per unit down to the lowest cost possible.

If you just want one of these for yourself (and are not thinking of
mass producing hundreds of thousands of units), then perhaps you can
find a different brand/model which has an RS-232/USB output connection
and which can be controlled / data grabbed from those ports. Then you
would just need to do the programming and could add on external
devices.

If you want to mass produce these, I think anything to do with the
medical field might need U.S. Food and Drug approval as well as U.L,
etc. Because people's lives can depend on these things, the
regulations and testing required are quite strict.

Here are microcontroller prices. Notice as there is more memory, etc.,
the price goes up...
http://www.microchipdirect.com/Chart...id=10&treeid=1

Here you can find microcontroller programmers...
http://www.microchip.com/forums/default.aspx

Here you can ask about what circuitry you might need for this...
http://forum.sparkfun.com

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. It seems like a pretty simple
thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales. One
adapter, many devices.

With a USB port you could even feed information into the device with a
flash drive.

One touch HAS a bit of software into which you can download the data from
the device. Once there, you can transmit it to wherever you like.

Check the One-Touch web site.

I think they maybe took it down for liability reasons; If so, shoot me an
email and I'll forward a copy.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. It seems like a pretty simple
thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales. One
adapter, many devices.

With a USB port you could even feed information into the device with a
flash drive.

They do exist in hospitals, but from the looks of them, fairly expensive.
They scan the patients wristband barcode, take the test data and transmit to
the main computer in the patients record. Can handle multiple patients.
You'd need one of the electronics guys to rig your meter though. Do you
have software to collect the data?

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

On Dec 1, 3:23*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). *It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. *It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. *It seems like a pretty simple
thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales. *One
adapter, many devices.

With a USB port you could even feed information into the device with a
flash drive.

Actually it is not that hard at all. Serial is a simple interface to
use and implement
and serial-2-usb adapters are cheap and easy to find. I have used 2
ZigBees to transmit
data between a data-acquisition device and a computer with relative
ease.
http://www.digi.com/technology/rf-ar...ess-zigbee.jsp
So the manufacturer has no real reason besides the small cost to
implement what you want.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

On 12/1/10 1:23 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. It seems like a pretty simple
thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales. One
adapter, many devices.

With a USB port you could even feed information into the device with a
flash drive.

a BG meter with a USB port already exists

http://www.bayercontourusb.us/home

here is one that attaches to an iPhone with App

http://www.bgstar.com/web/ibgstar

This site has info on 91 (yes, 91) manufacturers of BG meters, and
brief info about each (I think there was 1 with Bluetooth)

http://www.mendosa.com/meters.htm

(Google is your friend)
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

The actual cost of the additional electronics would not be much if it
was designed as an all-in-one unit and mass produced.

There is at least one WiFi enabled glucose monitor on the market.
Called something GlucoMon (I remember it because it sounded too much
like Pokemon for my marketing tastes).

If you want to mass produce these, I think anything to do with the
medical field might need U.S. Food and Drug approval as well as U.L,
etc. Because people's lives can depend on these things, the
regulations and testing required are quite strict.

Yep and they would take their time. Especially in making sure
that the WiFi signal wouldn't mess up the calculations. They have had
some problems with cell signals interfering with hard-wired
communications between the glucose monitor and insulin pumps, so this is
probably something the FDA would look at closely.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.support.diabetes

On 12/1/2010 2:23 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It
stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to
also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's
email address.

Sounds like designing a meter that uses a memory card would do the
trick, and then use an Eye-Fi card (memory card with built-in Wi-Fi)
to transmit the data.
http://www.eye.fi/