Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag electric dryer motor hums

The motor just hums when "start" is pushed. I took off the belt and
still just a hum.

I want to try to rotate the shaft, but it's very stiff.

Anyone know how to get at the motor? I have the front cover off, but
it looks like I need to tear into the exhaust airflow ducting and drum
assembly to get at the motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Usually have to pull the drum out, that opens up the access to the
motor. Clean and relube the berrings is the first step.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"kh fami" wrote in message
The motor just hums when "start" is pushed. I took off the belt and
still just a hum.

I want to try to rotate the shaft, but it's very stiff.

Anyone know how to get at the motor? I have the front cover off, but
it looks like I need to tear into the exhaust airflow ducting and drum
assembly to get at the motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2010 12:36 AM, kh fami wrote:
The motor just hums when "start" is pushed. I took off the belt and
still just a hum.

It probably just hums because it doesn't know the words.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You joined the cliche of the week club, too? Me, I avoid cliches like
the plague. I wouldn't get near a cliche with a ten foot pole. The
only thing worse than cliches, are hackneyed expressions. I opened the
door and saw a cliche on my front step. I screamed like ice cream. It
beat feet, crying "feet don't fail me now" as it made tracks into the
distance.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
On 11/28/2010 12:36 AM, kh fami wrote:
The motor just hums when "start" is pushed. I took off the belt and
still just a hum.

It probably just hums because it doesn't know the words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow -- gfretw... nailed it.

Sock wedged into the blower fan.

Thanks to

http://www.applianceaid.com/may-apart.html

for step by step on getting to it.

The telltale sign was that the drum would only turn in one direction
and not even budge in the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:31:31 -0800 (PST), kh fami
wrote:

Wow -- gfretw... nailed it.

Sock wedged into the blower fan.

Thanks to

http://www.applianceaid.com/may-apart.html

for step by step on getting to it.

The telltale sign was that the drum would only turn in one direction
and not even budge in the other.

Nice. Now it makes sense why Mom used to put a few pairs of socks on
a safety pin. She never lost one... She put the pin in through the
toe ends.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2010 4:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You joined the cliche of the week club, too? Me, I avoid cliches like
the plague. I wouldn't get near a cliche with a ten foot pole. The
only thing worse than cliches, are hackneyed expressions. I opened the
door and saw a cliche on my front step. I screamed like ice cream. It
beat feet, crying "feet don't fail me now" as it made tracks into the
distance.

So I suppose that means it's old and overused? Can't remember last time
I read/heard, or wrote/said it.

'Cliche Tony'

Maytag dryer won't start, just hums. btrflywngs88 Home Repair 4 January 5th 18 05:44 PM
Rumbling noise when Maytag electric dryer starts trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 6 March 14th 09 02:56 PM
Old Maytag electric clothes dryer. [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 January 29th 08 12:49 AM
Maytag dryer won't start, just hums. [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 26th 07 12:58 AM
Maytag dryer hums, not spinning ohaya Home Repair 6 October 24th 05 12:53 PM