Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing smell from items

Long story, made short.
Started with new smelly luggage.
Chamber maid tried to remove smell by spraying some cleaner on it.
I sprayed a second dose of this cleaner on it (outside).

Next I placed newspaper and coffee inside the luggage. It had no
impact.
Next I bought a car freshener cardboard and placed it inside the
luggage.

Net result, the luggage and all its contents have a combined putrid
smell now.

I chucked the luggage in the garbage after removing all its contents.

How can I remove the horrible scent from all of the items that were in
the luggage?

Most of the items were clothes.
I have washed them in a machine with lots of detergent and they still
stink.

Other items include leather belts, a small travel bag for toiletries,
computer connectors/adapters, headphones etc.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 5:25*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 11/21/2010 4:47 PM, wrote:

[...]

Bright sunlight and/or febreeze.

--
aem sends...

Wash them again and add white vinegar to the rinse water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 6:21*pm, Dottie wrote:

Wash them again and add white vinegar to the rinse water.

OK thanks I'll try that with the clothes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 5:25*pm, aemeijers wrote:

Bright sunlight and/or febreeze.

I have had bad previous experiences with febreeze.
It is a product that basically covers up one smell with another.
Eventually the febreeze smell goes away and you are left with the
original smell.

How about bright sunlight at a temperature of 3C ?
Will that do it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 7:28*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
..

I got as close as I could and dump a pint of febreze in there--- 4
years ago. *The smell hasn't returned.

Older formula- or unscented- or just lucky? * *I like the stuff.

Jim

Interesting story. Thanks Jim.
I didn't know there was an unscented version of Febreeze.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 1:47Â*pm, wrote:
Long story, made short.
Started with new smelly luggage.
Chamber maid tried to remove smell by spraying some cleaner on it.
I sprayed a second dose of this cleaner on it (outside).

Next I placed newspaper and coffee inside the luggage. It had no
impact.
Next I bought a car freshener cardboard and placed it inside the
luggage.

Net result, the luggage and all its contents have a combined putrid
smell now.

I chucked the luggage in the garbage after removing all its contents.

How can I remove the horrible scent from all of the items that were in
the luggage?

Most of the items were clothes.
I have washed them in a machine with lots of detergent and they still
stink.

That is really strange! But maybe they have been affected by all the
chemical attempts at deodorizing.
Could you give them another go, using an unscented detergent, and this
time add baking soda to the water?

Other items include leather belts, a small travel bag for toiletries,
computer connectors/adapters, headphones etc.

Some of these may have to go where the luggage went, alas.
Finding the formula to deodorize leather and plastic and metal all
together...problematic.

I'm with the sunshine crowd, though with these short days, you have to
get the stuff out early.

Also consider baking soda, which I use in my trash cans and
refrigerator.
Also charcoal.

Both of these probably for longer-term storage, after you've taken
care of the worst of the damage.

Good luck!

On the subject of chemical deodorizers, I just heard a radio program
about "Green Chemistry" -- a new approach to the use of chemicals.
Here's a quote from a new course at University of California.

"OVERVIEW
The principles of chemicals policy outlined in this report highlight
the need for a modern, comprehensive
solution to pressing health, environmental and economic problems
associated with Californias management
of chemicals and products. These policies will promote the science,
technology, and commercial applications
of green chemistry: the design, manufacture and use of chemicals,
processes and products that are safer for
human health and the environment. Building new productive capacity in
green chemistry will support a vibrant
economy, open new opportunities for investment and employment, and
protect human health and the states
natural resources"

Here's the summary paragraph from Wikipedia's article on Green
Chemistry:

This article is about the concept of the environmentally friendly
design of chemical products and processes. For the journal, see Green
Chemistry (journal).

Green chemistry, also called sustainable chemistry, is a philosophy of
chemical research and engineering that encourages the design of
products and processes that minimize the use and generation of
hazardous substances.[1] Whereas environmental chemistry is the
chemistry of the natural environment, and of pollutant chemicals in
nature, green chemistry seeks to reduce and prevent pollution at its
source. In 1990 the Pollution Prevention Act was passed in the United
States. This act helped create a modus operandi for dealing with
pollution in an original and innovative way. It aims to avoid problems
before they happen.

As a chemical philosophy, green chemistry applies to organic
chemistry, inorganic chemistry, biochemistry, analytical chemistry,
and even physical chemistry. While green chemistry seems to focus on
industrial applications, it does apply to any chemistry choice. Click
chemistry is often cited as a style of chemical synthesis that is
consistent with the goals of green chemistry. The focus is on
minimizing the hazard and maximizing the efficiency of any chemical
choice. It is distinct from environmental chemistry which focuses on
chemical phenomena in the environment.

In 2005 Ryƍji Noyori identified three key developments in green
chemistry: use of supercritical carbon dioxide as green solvent,
aqueous hydrogen peroxide for clean oxidations and the use of hydrogen
in asymmetric synthesis.[2] Examples of applied green chemistry are
supercritical water oxidation, on water reactions, and dry media
reactions.

Bioengineering is also seen as a promising technique for achieving
green chemistry goals. A number of important process chemicals can be
synthesized in engineered organisms, such as shikimate, a Tamiflu
precursor which is fermented by Roche in bacteria.

There is some debate as to whether green chemistry includes a
consideration of economics, but by definition, if green chemistry is
not applied, it cannot accomplish the reduction in the "use or
generation of hazardous substances."

Plenty more Web sites. An interesting field for young people to
enter, as well as for older people to transition.

HB

Removing a polish smell jkm1 Home Repair 7 July 17th 10 11:40 PM
Removing a polish smell jkm1 UK diy 6 June 8th 10 11:10 AM
Removing Paint Smell John UK diy 3 June 12th 08 08:45 AM
Removing smoke (fire) smell Sonny Woodworking 8 February 15th 07 10:47 PM
Removing dog urine smell from carpet. phaeton Home Repair 5 May 17th 06 01:52 PM