Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40 Question

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

On 11/19/2010 11:41 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:

How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the same time a
solvent ?

Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?

Thanks,
Bob

wd40 is neither it is a water dispersant. nothing else.

it is basically kerosene.

Man, this deja vu is killing me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

On 11/19/2010 11:41 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:

How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the same
time a solvent ?

Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?

Thanks,
Bob

wd40 is neither it is a water dispersant. nothing else.

it is basically kerosene.

Man, this deja vu is killing me.

number listed under WD-40.
You will find that it's ~70% kerosene. Thus,it IS "basically kerosene".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2010 4:19 PM Jim Yanik spake thus:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article , Steve
Barker wrote:

On 11/19/2010 11:41 AM, Bob wrote:

Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:

How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the
same time a solvent ?

Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?

wd40 is neither it is a water dispersant. nothing else.

it is basically kerosene.

Man, this deja vu is killing me.

number listed under WD-40.
You will find that it's ~70% kerosene. Thus,it IS "basically kerosene".

Not true.

Yes, *one* of the ingrediments (listed twice in the MSDS for some
reason) is kerosene, but it's nowhere near 70% of the total. The other
petroleum components are naphtha (Stoddard solvent) and some unspecified
"dewaxed paraffinic mineral oil".

Here, try it yourself: there's a MSDS search engine he

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...usehold/search

and the MSDS can be easily found through a Google search.

Here are the components given in that MSDS:

CAS 64742-47-8
CAS 64742-48-9
CAS 64742-88-7
CAS 64742-65-0
CAS 64742-47-8 (same as first)

(I left out the CO2)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2010 5:00 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

On 11/19/2010 4:19 PM Jim Yanik spake thus:

number listed under WD-40.
You will find that it's ~70% kerosene. Thus,it IS "basically kerosene".

Not true.

Yes, *one* of the ingrediments (listed twice in the MSDS for some
reason) is kerosene, but it's nowhere near 70% of the total. The other
petroleum components are naphtha (Stoddard solvent) and some unspecified
"dewaxed paraffinic mineral oil".

Here, try it yourself: there's a MSDS search engine he

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...usehold/search

and the MSDS can be easily found through a Google search.

Here are the components given in that MSDS:

CAS 64742-47-8
CAS 64742-48-9
CAS 64742-88-7
CAS 64742-65-0
CAS 64742-47-8 (same as first)

Ackshooly, according to this page:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=23007001

WD-40 is 60-70% Stoddard solvent. Although I think that also contains
some kerosene, judging from those other CAS #s.

Very confusing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:

Man, this deja vu is killing me.

All over again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

On 11/19/2010 11:41 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:

How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the same
time a solvent ?

Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?

Thanks,
Bob

wd40 is neither it is a water dispersant. nothing else.

it is basically kerosene.

Man, this deja vu is killing me.

number listed under WD-40.
You will find that it's ~70% kerosene. Thus,it IS "basically kerosene".

Are you talking to me? All I said was "this deja vu is killing me." You
must be talking to someone else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:
Smitty Two wrote: