Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem electrical in medicine chest

I have this MC that came with the house and never had a chance to
remove it,cause its embedded into the wall with a florescent 25 watt
bulb. There is a toggle switch on the side and above it is one outlet.
its about 30" x 30" and heavy looking. it has glass trays. The switch
has been giving me problems so i thought that i could tackle the job
myself. Yesterday the last time i touched that toggle i felt a hot
buzz as i was going to turn it on. Now i won't touch the thing. I
removed all the screws, trays to see where the wiring is. I had to
tilt it towards me and i am alone so i couldn't risk dropping it or
even pull it away from the wall not knowing where that switch is
getting its power from..especially with the current still on. I do
have another switch in the bathroom for an overhead light.. in fact,
one time as i was having trouble in turning the florescent on,
something told me to try the overhead switch..sure enough it was like
a jump start and the bulb lit so there must be some connection. That
switch in on the other side wall near the door entrance. I called a
couple of electricians and they refused to come cause its a small job,
they say. Won't tell me what to look for as a connection to that wall
switch. Anyone here has a suggestion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boothbay" wrote in message
[...]

Those things are dangerous (as you have learned).

What happens with old wiring in light fixtures is the heat from the
light over time causes the insulation on the wiring to get brittle and
it will then crumble and fall off.

Then a live wire can touch the metal of the medicine cabinet.

Grounding the metal cabinet can protect you from being shocked - older
wiring and older medicine cabinets do not have grounds attached (3rd
prong on outlets in newer homes as well).

And a GFCI (outlet with Test button) wired to the medicine cabinet
would protect you as well - older homes do not have this in the
bathroom.

Also new wiring is rated and designed for high temperatures and this
problem will not occur - older homes do not have this wiring.

-So you should replace the medicine cabinet or have it rewired with
new high temperature rated wire.

-Ground the metal case of the medicine cabinet.

-Power it from a GFCI receptacle.

And that is a lot more work. They may need to run a new grounded wire
from the main panel if you do not have grounded wiring (3 prong
outlets). So maybe an electrician would now be interested?

Keep calling electricians until you find one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boothbay" wrote in message
[...]

First kill the power at the breaker, then verify its off. Next look in the
inside for removable cover plates, especially near the switch. If you don't
find an internal junction box, the cabinet will have to come out. There
should be enough slack on whatever cable is feeding the cabinet for you to
set it down on the sink to work on it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 4:38*pm, Boothbay wrote:
[...]

Not strange to see a lighted MC wired into the overhead light. Also
not unusual to see the MC wired by a carpenter who installed it and
got the hot and neutral reversed.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 4:06*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Get someone who knows a little about electricity to come and give you
a hand. Offer them $25 or a free dinner or something to get them to
come if they are hesitant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the first thing you do!!

TURN OFF POWER to this light at the breaker box before doing ANYTHING
ELSE!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Second, time to call the local schools, and enroll in a remedial adult
English class.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Medicine Cabinet Tanus Woodworking 9 July 22nd 09 12:32 AM
Medicine Cabinets Cobalt1254 Home Repair 1 May 21st 07 01:19 PM
medicine cabinets SeaKan Home Repair 3 February 14th 06 02:12 AM
Joining Corner Problem - Medicine Cabinet Door Patrick Gillette Woodworking 7 February 20th 04 03:19 PM