Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Problem electrical in medicine chest

On Nov 14, 4:38*pm, Boothbay wrote:
I have this MC that came with the house and never had a chance to
remove it,cause its embedded into the wall with a florescent 25 watt
bulb. There is a toggle switch on the side and above it is one outlet.
its about 30" x 30" and heavy looking. it has glass trays. The switch
has been giving me problems so i thought that i could tackle the job
myself. Yesterday the last time i touched that toggle i felt a hot
buzz as i was going to turn it on. Now i won't touch the thing. I
removed all the screws, trays to see where the wiring is. I had to
tilt it towards me and i am alone so i couldn't risk dropping it or
even pull it away from the wall not knowing where that switch is
getting its power from..especially with the current still on. I do
have another switch in the bathroom for an overhead light.. in fact,
one time as i was having trouble in turning the florescent on,
something told me to try the overhead switch..sure enough it was like
a jump start and the bulb lit * so there must be some connection. That
switch in on the other side wall near the door entrance. I called a
couple of electricians and they refused to come cause its a small job,
they say. Won't tell me what to look for as a connection to that wall
switch. Anyone here has a suggestion?

Not strange to see a lighted MC wired into the overhead light. Also
not unusual to see the MC wired by a carpenter who installed it and
got the hot and neutral reversed.

Jimmie