Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Installation Question - Drain Not Level

I am replacing a toilet in my parent's house (putting the same one
back in). I removed the toilet because it was leaking through to the
ceiling below. I had to pull out and replace six tiles, and I will be
going back tomorrow to reseat the toilet, having given the mortar a
few days to set.

When I took the toilet out, the plastic insert that comes with the wax
ring was crooked, and I assumed that was the reason for the leakage.
While I had the tile out, my father put a torpedo level on the top of
the drain and determined that it was not level. I don't know how bad
it is, because I hadn't really noticed. Based on the fact that I
hadn't noticed, I am assuming it is not too bad, though. The drain is
even with the subfloot, so there is the tile and mortar width between
the bottom of the toilet and the drain.

There's the background, here's the question: I was planning on simply
reseating the toilet with a new wax ring. Do I have to do anything to
account for a slightly off-level drain?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 8:02*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I must disagree with the other posters to date.

The flange should be above the finished floor 1/4 to 3/8".

If the tile was added *after the flange was installed you need to purchase a
flange washer/spacer. *Lowes part number
item #: 253224 *Model #: 43646

shown on this page is an example of one:http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDi...&langId=-1&cat...

Then the wax ring will make up for any slight differences in the level of
the flange. *Be sure to use the can't leak kind with the sleeve. You could
probably get away with use one regular wax ring and one with the sleeve but
why take the chance for $5

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com- Hide quoted text -

I thought that you could also get an extra-thick wax ring, or just add
a second wax ring that does not have the plastic funnel to make up for
the extra spacing due to the floor tile thickness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:25:53 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Nov 13, 8:02*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Sure. Mine was 3/4" (backer + tile) below the finished floor. An extender
(1/2") and normal wax ring was all that was needed. Yes, they make
extra-thick wax rings, too. They make a mess if you don't really need them,
though.