Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaf Blower

Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to
treat ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas
and we will probably go that way for the new one. Any
recommendations or units to avoid? I probably don't want to spend
$300 on a Stihl or one of those "fancy" names as the unit we have
has lasted many years and was only about $100 back then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to
treat ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas and
we will probably go that way for the new one. Any recommendations or
units to avoid? I probably don't want to spend $300 on a Stihl or one of
those "fancy" names as the unit we have has lasted many years and was
only about $100 back then.

Leaf blowing and vacuuming with a blower/vac is like ****ing into the
wind in my mind. I used to do it that way. Now I use a mulch blade on my
lawn mower bagger and suck up the leaves with much less screwing around.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to treat
ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas and we will
probably go that way for the new one. Any recommendations or units to
avoid? I probably don't want to spend $300 on a Stihl or one of those
"fancy" names as the unit we have has lasted many years and was only about
$100 back then.

It does not vacuum but I have been very pleased with the feather-weight
Poulan or Weedeater that I bought. I would have to go to the garage to be
sure which.

My back enjoys the lighter weight and it starts real nicely.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Art Todesco wrote:
Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to
treat ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas and
we will probably go that way for the new one. Any recommendations or
units to avoid? I probably don't want to spend $300 on a Stihl or one of
those "fancy" names as the unit we have has lasted many years and was
only about $100 back then.

Leaf blowing and vacuuming with a blower/vac is like ****ing into the
wind in my mind. I used to do it that way. Now I use a mulch blade on my
lawn mower bagger and suck up the leaves with much less screwing around.

Not to mention that the leaf dust gets everywhere. The cars need washing
after my neighbor has a leaf-blowing blowout and the windows of the house
get coated, too. Mulching and bagging is the way to go!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2010 5:06 PM, LSMFT wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to
treat ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas and
we will probably go that way for the new one. Any recommendations or
units to avoid? I probably don't want to spend $300 on a Stihl or one of
those "fancy" names as the unit we have has lasted many years and was
only about $100 back then.

Leaf blowing and vacuuming with a blower/vac is like ****ing into the
wind in my mind. I used to do it that way. Now I use a mulch blade on my
lawn mower bagger and suck up the leaves with much less screwing around.

You can only mulch up to a point, if you have big trees. I chop them up
till I have trouble seeing grass under there, and then start raking and
blowing. I don't have a tractor, so collecting them with the mower bag
is out of the question- I'd get maybe one row per bagful. Quicker to
rake at that point. Thankfully, I have a nice rubbermaid cart and a tree
line to dump the leaves in, and don't have to bag or haul like my
neighbors do. (Many of them dump leaves and grass and such in the
drainage lot out by the front of the subdivision.) A matched pair of
rakes, used like giant salad tongs, is a back-friendly way to fill the
cart- no stooping involved. Start at one edge of yard, and blow till the
pile is a foot or so thick. Then fill and dump the cart enough times
till the mound is gone, and start blowing again. Goes pretty quick.
After 5 years of trial and error (like blowing onto tarps and dragging
them), I have come up with a routine that works, and doesn't leave me
bedridden for a week. I do covet a tractor, but with less than half an
acre once house, shed, and driveway are subtracted, I just can't justify
it. Heaven knows my fat gut needs the exercise.

And I actually got the gutters blown before they got full of ice this year!

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 3:06*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. *So, we are going to
treat ourselves to a new one. *The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas
and we will probably go that way for the new one. *Any
recommendations or units to avoid? *I probably don't want to spend
$300 on a Stihl or one of those "fancy" names as the unit we have
has lasted many years and was only about $100 back then.

How long is a good life for a machine, my Echo blower Sthil trimmer
and Lawnboy were purchased in 1985 or 86 they still run and I use them
fairly hard. I didnt know Sthil was " fancy".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

I'd rather empty my lawn bagger every 2 feet than mess with blowing.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

On 11/12/2010 4:06 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to
treat ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas and
we will probably go that way for the new one. Any recommendations or
units to avoid? I probably don't want to spend $300 on a Stihl or one of
those "fancy" names as the unit we have has lasted many years and was
only about $100 back then.

i bought an echo blower/sucker about 6 weeks ago from HD for about 200
dollars out the door and it works well, fires right up and is lightweight.

another week or so i'll put it away till next fall. see if it works well
then

cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Art Todesco wrote:

Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to
treat ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas
and we will probably go that way for the new one. Any
recommendations or units to avoid? I probably don't want to spend
$300 on a Stihl or one of those "fancy" names as the unit we have
has lasted many years and was only about $100 back then.

So they still make 2-cycle blowers? Those were outlawed here many years
ago, thanks to Ashleigh Brilliant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to treat
ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas and we will
probably go that way for the new one. Any recommendations or units to
avoid? I probably don't want to spend $300 on a Stihl or one of those
"fancy" names as the unit we have has lasted many years and was only about
$100 back then.

I use a Homelite hand held to blow the leaves out of the many gardens and
out away from the stone wall , house , garage , ect then I just mulch them
into the lawn with my mulcing mower..Can't let them get to deep though...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 3:06*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. *So, we are going to
treat ourselves to a new one. *The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas
and we will probably go that way for the new one. *Any
recommendations or units to avoid? *I probably don't want to spend
$300 on a Stihl or one of those "fancy" names as the unit we have
has lasted many years and was only about $100 back then.

My Echo died today after 25 years or so. So ive been looking and
decided on a 160$ Echo PB250 at HD, the motor is better than my old
unit and reviews put it on the rop. I think it cost me more 25 years
ago. For 160 it will last you longer than your old one, maybe it will
be the last one you buy.