Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lamp Switch Repair questions

I have a table lamp that uses a three way switch. But, the lamp does not
use a 3 way light bulb. Here is how the switch works:

1st position: very small night light, at the bottom of the lamp is on
2nd position: night light and regular light bulb are on
3rd position: only the regular light bulb is on

here is my question..... when I go to buy the switch, is it a regular 3
way lamp switch, or is there some other configuration/name that I need ?

Thanks !!

James

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 10, 4:39*pm, "James" wrote:
I have a table lamp that uses a three way switch. * But, the lamp does not
use a *3 way light bulb. * * Here is how the switch works:

1st position: * *very small night light, at the bottom of the lamp is on
2nd position: * night light and regular light bulb are on
3rd position: * only the regular light bulb is on

here is my question..... * when I go to buy the switch, is it a regular 3
way lamp switch, or is there some other configuration/name that I need ?

Thanks !!

James

If the switch is part of the socket, you'll have to do something
custom. I don't know if there are 3-way switches that are divorced
from the socket or not, but if there are, you could use one, but
pos'ns 2 and 3 will be reversed.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:42:28 -0800, N8N wrote
[snip]

If the switch is part of the socket, you'll have to do something custom.
I don't know if there are 3-way switches that are divorced from the
socket or not, but if there are, you could use one, but pos'ns 2 and 3
will be reversed.

nate

I've had lamps that used multiple regular (not 3-way) sockets and a
separate switch for 3-way function.

--
45 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented
myself from Christian assemblies." -- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 6:50*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:42:28 -0800, N8N wrote
[snip]

If the switch is part of the socket, you'll have to do something custom..
*I don't know if there are 3-way switches that are divorced from the
socket or not, but if there are, you could use one, but pos'ns 2 and 3
will be reversed.

nate

I've had lamps that used multiple regular (not 3-way) sockets and a
separate switch for 3-way function.

--
45 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented
myself from Christian assemblies." -- Benjamin Franklin

It is probably a regular three-way switch. I think you have a switch
on the lamp side, not on the side of the socket itself. If it is on
the side /lampo base, than any old 3-way switch will do. My wife has
a dressing table lamp exactly like that.

Fluorescent lamp switch User Example Home Repair 24 July 19th 19 02:44 PM
Lamp Switch Rod UK diy 5 December 12th 07 09:47 PM
Laptop LCD lamp repair... Inverter or lamp? [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 August 5th 07 06:08 PM
Repairing Lamp Switch Bryan Home Repair 2 December 12th 05 07:57 PM
4-way switch for ceiling lamp? [email protected] Home Ownership 5 February 15th 05 08:39 PM