Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dry location only halogen lighting...

My wife spent a good small fortune on halogen track for our bathroom that
houses our shower. I've never seen a fixture marked "dry location only".
Fixture is both CSA and UL (halogen) listed. Instructions are non-existent
in the box.

There are 4 halogen bulbs, that draw 50 watts each. They are spring loaded
so you twist the bulb 90 degrees to insert or take out as opposed to
screwing in a bulb. It's a GU10 type bulb. It was to replace track light
that use incadsent bulbs or A19.

I've seen plenty of wet location use stickers on lights before but never a
dry location only. Could the dry location sticker be because the lighting
will highlight the steam casting a weird glow in the bathroom, or is this
type of sticker put on because there is a risk of shock is moisture comes in
contact. 2 of the 4 bulbs are 44" from the shower curtain. There is NO
exhaust fan in this bathroom.

The light switch controls the only outlet in the bathroom as well as the
only light fixture. I didn't bother with a GFCI outlet because we never
use electrical things in this washroom. If I put a GFCI outlet in will that
offer protection for the light?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I forgot to mention this is a ceiling mount fixture
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Henchman" wrote in message
I forgot to mention this is a ceiling mount fixture

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Henchman" wrote in message
I forgot to mention this is a ceiling mount fixture

Ground fault protection is for people, not things like fixtures. My guess is
that this fixture is for dry location only because of it's excessive heat.
The lens covering the lamp may burst if a drop of water hits it once it's
hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message ...

"The Henchman" wrote in message
I forgot to mention this is a ceiling mount fixture

Ground fault protection is for people, not things like fixtures. My guess is
that this fixture is for dry location only because of it's excessive heat.
The lens covering the lamp may burst if a drop of water hits it once it's
hot.

--------

Heats up damn quick. Will burn your finger. You might be right.

Considered GU10 Compact Fluor or LED right now that can match these 50 W.

CFL don't heat up much at 7W to 11 W?? LED are so damn exspensive but are
available in my town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 4:48*pm, "The Henchman" wrote:
"RBM" *wrote in ...
"The Henchman" wrote in message

I forgot to mention this is a ceiling mount fixture

Ground fault protection is for people, not things like fixtures. My guess is
that this fixture is for dry location only because of it's excessive heat..
The lens covering the lamp may burst if a drop of water hits it once it's
hot.

--------

Heats up damn quick. *Will burn your finger. *You might be right.

Considered GU10 Compact Fluor or LED right now that can match these 50 W.

CFL don't heat up much at 7W to 11 W?? *LED are so damn exspensive but are
available in my town.

LED makes things funny colors. SWMBO may look green so I wouldn't
recomment LEDs until the color balance is beter. CFLs are now
available in cool to warm ranges so SWMBO might prefer them.

Halogen V,s LED Lighting ronnie UK diy 8 February 8th 09 11:20 AM
halogen lighting [email protected] UK diy 3 July 18th 06 03:35 PM
Halogen lighting in kitchen Roger Taylor Home Repair 2 March 30th 05 04:29 PM
Halogen lighting again Troy UK diy 7 November 5th 03 05:16 PM
More halogen lighting but nothing to do with dimming Phil UK diy 2 November 4th 03 11:27 AM