Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caulk tube saved for next time

Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2010 8:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

You need to keep air and moisture out. I'll use aluminum foil and or
Saran wrap. It's got to be sealed tightly and I'll wrap around seal
with a rubber band.
Posted to alt.home.repair
lj lj is offline

On Nov 4, 8:40*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

They make caps to close them. You can get them at lowes. But pure
silicon almost always eventually hardens no matter how you close it.
The caps work a lot better on the water based acrylic caulks. So for
small jobs that's what I typically use. If I decide I want to use
pure silicon I get some and assume it will harden. So if it's a small
job I just get one of those smaller tubes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

This has always worked for me: I throw the plastic nozzle cap in the
trash. Stick the nozzle down into the corner of a 3 x 5 plastic parts
bag (heavier plastic than a baggie) and secure tightly with a rubber
band. Now squirt a generous gob of material into the bag.

Concept is based on my observation that some amount of silicone (or
other caulking material) is going to harden no matter what. This way,
the hardened stuff is outside the nozzle, not inside. The whole mess
peels away easily and the caulk is fresh and ready for next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I can't remember what type of caulk it was, but I once found a full
tube of solidified caulk in my shop.

Just for fun, I cut off the wrapper to get to the solid tube.

I found that the mass had very little odor unless you put your nose
right up to it. Within that last 1/2" or so the odor was so strong
that it hurt your nose and made your eyes water.

1 inch away and practically nothing.

It was like there was some sort of force field containing the odor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 5:40*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

One thing you can do is check the manufacture or use by date on the
tube before you buy it, and yes they are supposed to put some kind of
date on it, if they haven’t don’t buy it. I have bought caulk in the
past that had used up its shelf life; the symptom was that the caulk
would never set no matter how long you waited after applying it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 9:50*am, Smitty Two wrote:

This has always worked for me: I throw the plastic nozzle cap in the
trash. Stick the nozzle down into the corner of a 3 x 5 plastic parts
bag (heavier plastic than a baggie) and secure tightly with a rubber
band. Now squirt a generous gob of material into the bag.

Concept is based on my observation that some amount of silicone (or
other caulking material) is going to harden no matter what. This way,
the hardened stuff is outside the nozzle, not inside. The whole mess
peels away easily and the caulk is fresh and ready for next time.

Good tip. I'll try it.

Harbor Freight sells these things. It's simple flexible plastic and
looks like it would cost $0.02 to make, but sells for a buck forty-
nine in their stores. Somebody somewhere has to be making and selling
these for less, but I can't find them.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ulk+tube+saver

Maybe sticking a pencil in the opening and wrapping with silicone tape
would work.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

wrote:
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

They used to have screw tops for all. try to buy screw tops. They do
sell caps
for the regular ones. Regardless of method, keep it cool or cold.
That's best. Do not let it sit in warm conditions. I often still have
to insert
screwdriver and twist, and sometime cut back the end so its bigger.

COOL IT !!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

A big blob of candle wax does the trick: and is brittle enough to
be pushed out of the way next time you squeeze the trigger.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I have used electrical wire nuts in the past but they do not seal
indefinitly. Once your tube solidifies to solid silicone you can use
it for a sanding belt cleaner.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:40:15 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

I use a 4" stainless screw (prevents rust), inserted into the end of
the nozzle and then duct tape the end.

If the caulk does harden in the nozzle I can pull it out with the
screw, as the threads have a grasp. This has helped many times, but
if the caulk sits for long periods of time -- well, it is time for
new caulk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does that work? I thought a layer or two of electrical tape was
waterproof and all. Of course, the proof is if it works.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message

You need to keep air and moisture out. I'll use aluminum foil and or
Saran wrap. It's got to be sealed tightly and I'll wrap around seal
with a rubber band.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure how prices compare. Seems a waste to buy a 10.3 ounce
tube, and pitch out half of it. I did get a couple of the smaller
tubes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"lj" wrote in message

They make caps to close them. You can get them at lowes. But pure
silicon almost always eventually hardens no matter how you close it.
The caps work a lot better on the water based acrylic caulks. So for
small jobs that's what I typically use. If I decide I want to use
pure silicon I get some and assume it will harden. So if it's a small
job I just get one of those smaller tubes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Full power to shields, Scotty!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I can't remember what type of caulk it was, but I once found a full
tube of solidified caulk in my shop.

Just for fun, I cut off the wrapper to get to the solid tube.

I found that the mass had very little odor unless you put your nose
right up to it. Within that last 1/2" or so the odor was so strong
that it hurt your nose and made your eyes water.

1 inch away and practically nothing.

It was like there was some sort of force field containing the odor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good wisdom, thanks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Molly Brown" wrote in message

One thing you can do is check the manufacture or use by date on the
tube before you buy it, and yes they are supposed to put some kind of
date on it, if they haven't don't buy it. I have bought caulk in the
past that had used up its shelf life; the symptom was that the caulk
would never set no matter how long you waited after applying it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's probably all about shipping. Or maybe marketing. They can make a
machined flash light with batteries free, but charge two bucks for a
plastic doodad.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"kimosabe" wrote in message

Harbor Freight sells these things. It's simple flexible plastic and
looks like it would cost $0.02 to make, but sells for a buck forty-
nine in their stores. Somebody somewhere has to be making and selling
these for less, but I can't find them.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ulk+tube+saver

Maybe sticking a pencil in the opening and wrapping with silicone tape
would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 3:36*pm, "Bob-tx" NOBSPAM wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Lots of *good ideas posted. *I'll add mine. *I usually have
some used large wire nuts left over from some job or
other. *The large ones work well for me to screw on
the end of an open caulk tube.

Bob-tx

I drive a 3 or 3 1/2 deck screw into the tip. The caulk in the spout
seals itself around the screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Well nobody mentioned my favorite technique. A dab of petroleum jelly
applied to the open spout will seal out air and moisture.
I keep a small tube of Vaseline in my toolbox just for that.

It just takes a little extrusion to push the jelly out and a paper towel or
even just a piece note paper to clean the jelly of and your all done.

If you put the original cap back on it will keep the jelly from getting
disturbed until you are ready to go.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 7:40*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I would silicone on a big wire nut, but pay attention to the
expriation date, by the time you reach the date its probably not good,
buy tubes by buying the earliest date, I had few new tubes that never
cured. If the smell doesnt make me gag then I know its not fresh. But
resealing doesnt always work, and use it fairly soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!)
and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered
the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube
was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a
caulk tube till the next time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Dip the cut nozzle into some Plastic Dip or equivalent. It forms an
airtight seal, is easily removed simply by peeling it away, and does not
contaminate the caulk. If you use a bright color of Plastic Dip, you can
see at a glance from a distance if the tube has been opened before.
I have used the technique on silicone, acrylic, and specialty types of
caulk and have had no problems with tubes of caulk over a year old.

Good Luck.

OT capping a tube of silicone caulk William Wixon Metalworking 16 January 21st 08 01:18 PM
caulk tube Patt Home Repair 13 January 12th 06 01:02 AM
Can Dremel Tool Remove Tube Caulk? [email protected] Home Repair 16 December 16th 05 02:34 AM
How long does a tube of unopened caulk last? miamicuse Home Repair 12 November 27th 05 05:28 PM
Grout caulk in a tube for tile? [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 19th 04 05:59 PM