Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floor to Wall air infiltration

I've pulled up the corner molding to lay down the new laminate
flooring and have noticed that there is a nice gap between the floor and
the sill. This in both '29 part of the house and the 70's addition.
I'm guessing that is deliberate and is the way hardwood was laid.

Since I have the molding off here, it seems like thing to do is fill
it with some of that low expansion foam. I've pushed the underlayment
vapor barrier into the cracks. But I wonder what to do with the rest of
the house. Is this a significant air leak? Should I stuff fiberglass up
to the sill from underneath, or is there another course of action?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I've pulled up the corner molding to lay down the new laminate
flooring and have noticed that there is a nice gap between the floor and
the sill. This in both '29 part of the house and the 70's addition.
I'm guessing that is deliberate and is the way hardwood was laid.

Since I have the molding off here, it seems like thing to do is fill
it with some of that low expansion foam. I've pushed the underlayment
vapor barrier into the cracks. But I wonder what to do with the rest of
the house. Is this a significant air leak? Should I stuff fiberglass up
to the sill from underneath, or is there another course of action?

Jeff

My home is circa 1970. Insulation was the way to go especially in an
all electric house. Remember gas lines ? Well the electric rebate went
away ( .08 to .14 per KWH) and we ended up with a wood stove then a gas
furnace. But the gift that kept on giving was too much insulation near
the soffit and not enough air which resulted in much wood rot that you
would think resulted from clogged gutters not the case. Still working
on this via aluminum replacement soffit etc.
BTW the basement was insulted too but the vapor barrier reversed. I'd
guess similar is happening today.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2010 2:00 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
In ,
Jeff wrote:

I've pulled up the corner molding to lay down the new laminate
flooring and have noticed that there is a nice gap between the floor and
the sill. This in both '29 part of the house and the 70's addition.
I'm guessing that is deliberate and is the way hardwood was laid.

Since I have the molding off here, it seems like thing to do is fill
it with some of that low expansion foam. I've pushed the underlayment
vapor barrier into the cracks. But I wonder what to do with the rest of
the house. Is this a significant air leak? Should I stuff fiberglass up
to the sill from underneath, or is there another course of action?

Jeff

My home is circa 1970. Insulation was the way to go especially in an
all electric house. Remember gas lines ?

Oh yeah!

Well the electric rebate went
away ( .08 to .14 per KWH) and we ended up with a wood stove then a gas
furnace. But the gift that kept on giving was too much insulation near
the soffit and not enough air which resulted in much wood rot that you
would think resulted from clogged gutters not the case. Still working
on this via aluminum replacement soffit etc.

Argh. Insulation in the wrong place is a problem.

BTW the basement was insulted too but the vapor barrier reversed. I'd
guess similar is happening today.

I didn't put one in. It's a bit hard here to tell which way the
moisture is moving in Atlanta!

I bought a bunch of unfaced R30 a while back when the despot had it
on super sale (cheaper than R11). It is so thick you can split it in
half and make twice as much R15. But I like the overinsulated floors.
I'm electric space heaters here and solar. If need be I've got a cord or
so for the wood stove.

Jeff

Floor & wall tiling Picasso Home Repair 0 November 30th 06 10:17 PM
New gas pipe - through wall or under floor? Richard Conway UK diy 1 September 1st 05 06:40 PM
Basement water infiltration, suggestions? Dan Shulman Home Repair 4 June 22nd 05 03:05 PM
wall and floor tiles Kee Home Repair 3 May 30th 05 04:47 PM
Floor or Wall first? Joe S Home Repair 8 March 23rd 05 06:15 PM