Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace bathroom light with no junction box

I removed my old bathroom light and there was no box. The wires were
just fed through a hole in the wall. I have a new light fixture that
requires being mounted to a box and weighs about 10 pounds.
Can I just use one of those replacement boxes that has the tabs and is
not mounted to a stud? Or do I need to mount a box to a stud (any
hints on doing this and not tearing up my wall too much would be
appreciated)? I guess another option is to use one of those fan boxes
that usually go in the ceiling but use it between two studs instead?
Thanks in advance
Mike