Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Default Repairing Superglue on Black Plastic

Fixing a shiny black plastic handle with gorilla-brand superglue,
I made a sloppy mess of it. It leaked out of the joint and over the
surface.
Is there a solvent that will not destroy the plastic but will remove
that haze?
Or must I just reduce the haze with some other solvent or glaze to at
least
make it bumpy, but as shiny as before? Or at least shinier than it is
ow

Any ideas?

TIA!!

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Unfortunately, many adhesives are also solvents. What you see is probably
less adhesive than surface damage. (Gorilla Glue is not a super-glue
(cyanoacrylate). It's a polyurethane adhesive, I believe.)

You might try buffing the surface with Novus plastic polish.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

William Sommerwerck wrote the following:
Unfortunately, many adhesives are also solvents. What you see is probably
less adhesive than surface damage. (Gorilla Glue is not a super-glue
(cyanoacrylate). It's a polyurethane adhesive, I believe.)

You might try buffing the surface with Novus plastic polish.

Gorilla also has a CA glue.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

gmark wrote the following:
Fixing a shiny black plastic handle with gorilla-brand superglue,
I made a sloppy mess of it. It leaked out of the joint and over the
surface.
Is there a solvent that will not destroy the plastic but will remove
that haze?
Or must I just reduce the haze with some other solvent or glaze to at
least
make it bumpy, but as shiny as before? Or at least shinier than it is
ow

Any ideas?

TIA!!

Mark

Some plastics can handle acetone (nail polish remover) which is used to
remove CA glue
The last resort is sanding it off.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Gorilla also has a CA glue.

If the OP used a CA adhesive, then he used far too much of it, if it oozed
out the edge. With most adhesives, less = better.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 10/19/2010 2:57 PM, gmark wrote:
Fixing a shiny black plastic handle with gorilla-brand superglue,
I made a sloppy mess of it. It leaked out of the joint and over the
surface.

Gorilla glue just does that, it takes experience to apply a small enough
amount to prevent it. It's one of the reasons I don't like it that much.
Dried polyurethane is a tough one to remove- I'd simply sand it off then
use finer and finer paper down to 600-100 grit and finally plastic
polish or auto rubbing compound. Paint remover may work but is liely to
attack plastic.

I don't think you're seeing solvent damage with that particular glue-
I've found the "overflow" relatively easy to scrape/sand away.

John H.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

Gorilla also has a CA glue.

If the OP used a CA adhesive, then he used far too much of it, if it
oozed out the edge. With most adhesives, less = better.

I've read that with superglue/CA glue,you only need a drop or two,it's
actually counterproductive to coat the entire joint.

Now,the polyurethane glues(for woodworking)are designed to foam up and
expand.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

HagstAr wrote the following:
On 10/19/2010 2:57 PM, gmark wrote:
Fixing a shiny black plastic handle with gorilla-brand superglue,
I made a sloppy mess of it. It leaked out of the joint and over the
surface.

Gorilla glue just does that, it takes experience to apply a small
enough amount to prevent it. It's one of the reasons I don't like it
that much. Dried polyurethane is a tough one to remove- I'd simply
sand it off then use finer and finer paper down to 600-100 grit and
finally plastic polish or auto rubbing compound. Paint remover may
work but is liely to attack plastic.

I don't think you're seeing solvent damage with that particular glue-
I've found the "overflow" relatively easy to scrape/sand away.

John H.

Read the subject line again.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 10/19/2010 11:27 PM, willshak wrote:

Read the subject line again.

That's pointless as Gorilla doesn't make a "superglue".

John H.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

That's pointless as Gorilla doesn't make a "superglue".

I said that quite a few posts back, and someone responded that it did. I
just checked, and Gorilla does, indeed, have a cyanocrylate product.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Well I stand corrected- I asked at the woodworking store and they'd
never heard of such a thing.

John H.

On 10/23/2010 10:18 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
That's pointless as Gorilla doesn't make a "superglue".

I said that quite a few posts back, and someone responded that it did. I
just checked, and Gorilla does, indeed, have a cyanocrylate product.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

HagstAr wrote:
Well I stand corrected- I asked at the woodworking store and they'd
never heard of such a thing.

John H.

On 10/23/2010 10:18 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
That's pointless as Gorilla doesn't make a "superglue".
I said that quite a few posts back, and someone responded that it did. I
just checked, and Gorilla does, indeed, have a cyanocrylate product.

IS there a glue for plastic where overflow won't damage the surface?
....Something like Elmer's where you can just wipe away the excess
without having it destroy the surrounding area.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

IS there a glue for plastic where overflow
won't damage the surface?

In theory, you're supposed to restrain yourself and apply "a little dab".
This is easier said than done.

Most (not all) plastic adhesives are solvents, and an overflow is likely to
damage what it touches. Two-part adhesives are probably less likely to do
damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

William Sommerwerck wrote:
IS there a glue for plastic where overflow
won't damage the surface?

In theory, you're supposed to restrain yourself and apply "a little dab".
This is easier said than done.

Most (not all) plastic adhesives are solvents, and an overflow is likely to
damage what it touches. Two-part adhesives are probably less likely to do
damage.

Rule of thumb is likely that if its easy to clean up then it probably
doesn't make a good bond.