Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
willshak willshak is offline

Default Repairing Superglue on Black Plastic

HagstAr wrote the following:
On 10/19/2010 2:57 PM, gmark wrote:
Fixing a shiny black plastic handle with gorilla-brand superglue,
I made a sloppy mess of it. It leaked out of the joint and over the
surface.

Gorilla glue just does that, it takes experience to apply a small
enough amount to prevent it. It's one of the reasons I don't like it
that much. Dried polyurethane is a tough one to remove- I'd simply
sand it off then use finer and finer paper down to 600-100 grit and
finally plastic polish or auto rubbing compound. Paint remover may
work but is liely to attack plastic.

I don't think you're seeing solvent damage with that particular glue-
I've found the "overflow" relatively easy to scrape/sand away.

John H.

Read the subject line again.

--

Bill