Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cpvc and freeze damage

I've rerun my kitchen plumbing in CPVC. Last year was our coldest in
some time (in the teens) and the old iron pipe with foam insulation gave
me no problems. All this in an unheated basement above which I've
insulated the floor. It's tempered somewhat from out doors, but not much.

Should I expect any more problems out of the CPVC than I had with the
steel?

I've heard that 20 F is the magick number for frozen pipes.
Apparently since there is no nuclei for ice crystal to form around, it
has to supper cool. Not sure how that works for the hot water after it
has left the tank.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 8:48*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've rerun my kitchen plumbing in CPVC. Last year was our coldest in
some time (in the teens) and the old iron pipe with foam insulation gave
me no problems. All this in an unheated basement above which I've
insulated the floor. It's tempered somewhat from out doors, but not much.

* *Should I expect any more problems out of the CPVC than I had with the
steel?

* *I've heard that 20 F is the magick number for frozen pipes.
Apparently since there is no nuclei for ice crystal to form around, it
has to supper cool. Not sure how that works for the hot water after it
has left the tank.

* *Jeff

I wouldn't think that a basement, unless almost all above ground,
would ever get below freezing. Mine doesn't even come close and -20
for a week or two used to be standard here every winter. Never did
insulate any pipes down there, even the 'input' one that came in and
went right up the outside wall to the ceiling.

Anyhow: CPVC should not have any more freezing issues than iron pipe.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 10:48*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've rerun my kitchen plumbing in CPVC. Last year was our coldest in
some time (in the teens) and the old iron pipe with foam insulation gave
me no problems. All this in an unheated basement above which I've
insulated the floor. It's tempered somewhat from out doors, but not much.

* *Should I expect any more problems out of the CPVC than I had with the
steel?

* *I've heard that 20 F is the magick number for frozen pipes.
Apparently since there is no nuclei for ice crystal to form around, it
has to supper cool. Not sure how that works for the hot water after it
has left the tank.

* *Jeff

Are you talking about a FULL baement that is underground, or a shalow
basem,ent/crawl space that is mostly above ground, or what. If a real
basement, the walls and floor are in the ground and frost only goes
down (even here in the Chicago area) about3-4 feet, so the entire
basement floor is warmer and will keep the basement above 32F. You
need to be more specific.

Painting Cpvc? Joe J Home Repair 8 February 22nd 17 02:31 PM
pvc/cpvc joints Red Home Repair 4 November 27th 08 08:23 PM
CPVC failure Art Home Repair 3 February 13th 08 04:35 AM
CPVC ques. Red Home Repair 4 April 18th 07 03:36 PM
Bending CPVC Harry K Home Repair 0 March 3rd 07 05:28 AM