Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default CPVC failure

On Feb 12, 8:22*am, "Art" wrote:
My understanding is that CPVC joints require 24 hours to cure. *I know that
my plumber did a joint and at most allowed 1 or 2 hours for it to cure. *I
am wondering if that will lead to just a slow leak or will it result in a
catastrophic failure.

I will make him fix it and other problems he caused but I was curious about
the failure issue.

Thanks.

Also he replace some CPVC with PEX. *Seems to me that the flow rate is down
due to 3 internal elbows he used that have smaller diameter than the CPVC.
Was wondering if that would be the likely cause of a lower flow rate or
should I look for another defect in his work.

By the way, this was done by the local gas company PSNC. *How pathetic. *It
took 4 guys to do a lousy job. *Also the PEX is right next to a basement
window.... *another no no I understand.

CPVC doe's not require 24 to cure as water can go down it in 10 mins
have used this in my cabin for years pex elbows will cut flow somewhat
but not all that much, Are the elbows close together or far apart as
this can make a difference . If you don't go below frezzing by the
window okay but if you do suggest you move it .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 6:22*am, "Art" wrote:
My understanding is that CPVC joints require 24 hours to cure. *I know that
my plumber did a joint and at most allowed 1 or 2 hours for it to cure. *I
am wondering if that will lead to just a slow leak or will it result in a
catastrophic failure.

I will make him fix it and other problems he caused but I was curious about
the failure issue.

Thanks.

Also he replace some CPVC with PEX. *Seems to me that the flow rate is down
due to 3 internal elbows he used that have smaller diameter than the CPVC.
Was wondering if that would be the likely cause of a lower flow rate or
should I look for another defect in his work.

By the way, this was done by the local gas company PSNC. *How pathetic. *It
took 4 guys to do a lousy job. *Also the PEX is right next to a basement
window.... *another no no I understand.

Check any can of cpvc glue in the store. It does _not_ need 24 hours
to cure. 10 minutes is plenty and I usually don't even wait that
long. Never had a failure and I have done my whole house with it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, 15 minutes is plenty of cure time for cpvc or pvc. I've charged
systems in the amount of time it took to walk to the valve. no problems.

"Art" wrote in message
My understanding is that CPVC joints require 24 hours to cure. I know
that my plumber did a joint and at most allowed 1 or 2 hours for it to
cure. I am wondering if that will lead to just a slow leak or will it
result in a catastrophic failure.

I will make him fix it and other problems he caused but I was curious
about the failure issue.

Thanks.

Also he replace some CPVC with PEX. Seems to me that the flow rate is
down due to 3 internal elbows he used that have smaller diameter than the
CPVC. Was wondering if that would be the likely cause of a lower flow rate
or should I look for another defect in his work.

By the way, this was done by the local gas company PSNC. How pathetic.
It took 4 guys to do a lousy job. Also the PEX is right next to a
basement window.... another no no I understand.

PEX vs. CPVC vs. Copper Andrew Home Repair 33 May 27th 21 07:24 PM
Bending CPVC mm Home Repair 3 April 21st 19 01:44 AM
Bending CPVC Jim Yanik Home Repair 3 March 4th 07 02:07 AM
CPVC valves coustanis Home Repair 5 February 10th 07 03:42 AM
Do you like CPVC as much as copper? Harry Everhart Home Repair 29 March 28th 05 10:02 PM