Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you tell premix

Today, I had a gallon of gas that had been set aside. I had remembered that
I had made up a gallon of JUST premix for the chainsaw.

I was wondering if I had straight gas or premix. I looked at the little oil
bottles, and the oil in them was blue. I poured some of the gas from the
can into a clear plastic bottle, and sure enough, it was blue. So, I was
pretty confident that this was premix.

Other than labeling, and that can get screwed up, is there a way to tell if
gas in a can is straight gas or premix? I have several brands of two stroke
oil, and I'm not sure if it is all colored or not. Is it? Or is gas just
clear, and premix has a color tinge to it one way or another?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:59:13 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote Re How do you tell premix:

Other than labeling, and that can get screwed up, is there a way to tell if
gas in a can is straight gas or premix?

Not easily & reliably.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 5:59*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Today, I had a gallon of gas that had been set aside. *I had remembered that
I had made up a gallon of JUST premix for the chainsaw.

I was wondering if I had straight gas or premix. *I looked at the little oil
bottles, and the oil in them was blue. *I poured some of the gas from the
can into a clear plastic bottle, and sure enough, it was blue. *So, I was
pretty confident that this was premix.

Other than labeling, and that can get screwed up, is there a way to tell if
gas in a can is straight gas or premix? *I have several brands of two stroke
oil, and I'm not sure if it is all colored or not. *Is it? *Or is gas just
clear, and premix has a color tinge to it one way or another?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
*http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Depending on the ratio, you can sometimes tell by putting a drop of
the (mix?) on glass. When the petrol has evaporated, if there's any
oil you can see the oily smear on the glass when you hold it up to the
light. You might have to rub it with you finger to make it become
visible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2010 11:59 PM, Steve B wrote:
Today, I had a gallon of gas that had been set aside. I had remembered that
I had made up a gallon of JUST premix for the chainsaw.

I was wondering if I had straight gas or premix. I looked at the little oil
bottles, and the oil in them was blue. I poured some of the gas from the
can into a clear plastic bottle, and sure enough, it was blue. So, I was
pretty confident that this was premix.

Other than labeling, and that can get screwed up, is there a way to tell if
gas in a can is straight gas or premix? I have several brands of two stroke
oil, and I'm not sure if it is all colored or not. Is it? Or is gas just
clear, and premix has a color tinge to it one way or another?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

almost all gas is clear these days. But i'll bet that's not 100%.
AMOCO's midgrade USED to be blue and the premium was purple. the best
way to tell is to dump it and remix and re-label.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I used to have two gas cans: one labeled BLOW and the other labeled MOW.

Now I just fill the blower with regular gas, top off the tank with a dollop
of oil, and call it good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 9:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Today, I had a gallon of gas that had been set aside. *I had remembered that
I had made up a gallon of JUST premix for the chainsaw.

I was wondering if I had straight gas or premix. *I looked at the little oil
bottles, and the oil in them was blue. *I poured some of the gas from the
can into a clear plastic bottle, and sure enough, it was blue. *So, I was
pretty confident that this was premix.

Other than labeling, and that can get screwed up, is there a way to tell if
gas in a can is straight gas or premix? *I have several brands of two stroke
oil, and I'm not sure if it is all colored or not. *Is it? *Or is gas just
clear, and premix has a color tinge to it one way or another?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
*http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Consider the relative cost of a new implement against the cost of a a
bottle of 2cycle oil of unknown fuel.

No contest. Dump the gallon into your mower or other low-tech engine
and mix a new batch!

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 14, 4:05*am, harry wrote:

snip

Depending on the ratio, you can sometimes tell by putting a drop of
the (mix?) on glass. When the petrol has evaporated, if there's any
oil you can see the oily smear on the glass when you hold it up to the
light. *You might have to rub it with you finger to make it become
visible.

Works just as said. Even 1 to 50 ratio (2%) will show an oily residue.
But lacking a decent test surface, using up the fuel in a standard
machine and mixing fresh is less nerve wracking.

Joe