Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HF free flashlights

Has anyone noticed that they are now putting alkaline cells in the
free flashlights?
Instead of the heavy duty cells in the other two I have.
That's nice.

I just hope they don't leak like the Thunderbolt brand they sell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
Has anyone noticed that they are now putting alkaline cells in the
free flashlights?
Instead of the heavy duty cells in the other two I have.
That's nice.

Agreed!

The operative question should be:

Once a factory is set up, how much more does it co$t to make an alkaline
cell than a "conventional" cell?

The conventional cells are almost certain to "leak" if they are completely
discharged. The alkaline cells very seldom leak.

The question is what is the value of the "insurance" against leakage is
worth?

ALSO: I have notices that remote controls (when they come with batteries)
still tend to have "conventional" cells.

My theory is that in remotes, conventional cells have a high voltage and,
thus, work better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 2:04*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Has anyone noticed that they are now putting alkaline cells in the
free flashlights?
Instead of the heavy duty cells in the other two I have.
That's nice.

I just hope they don't leak like the Thunderbolt brand they sell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

My latest HF flyer doesn't have a free flashlight or any other goodie,
the latest flyer has a "bar clamp " free with any purchase.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hasn't yet happened in my market. Please weigh them on a scale,
compared to known alkalines. I suspect they are just doing a clever
packaging job. I suspect you're being given carbon zinc cells like
usual.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
Has anyone noticed that they are now putting alkaline cells in the
free flashlights?
Instead of the heavy duty cells in the other two I have.
That's nice.

I just hope they don't leak like the Thunderbolt brand they sell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I'm having trouble using up the ads before they expire- I can only go to
HF so many times in a week.

Take a fashion tip from the women, and accessorize. A hat, a vest, a
stick-on mustache. Just go through the line several times with a
different look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John Gilmer" wrote:

The operative question should be:

Once a factory is set up, how much more does it co$t to make an alkaline
cell than a "conventional" cell?

Batteries, like everything, are made in China. For a free flashlight,
the operative question is, how much does it cost to stick an "alkaline"
label on a carbon zinc battery?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I'm having trouble using up the ads before they expire- I can only
go to HF so many times in a week.

Take a fashion tip from the women, and accessorize. A hat, a vest, a
stick-on mustache. Just go through the line several times with a
different look.

Women accessorize with a stick-on mustache?

Must suck to live in your neighborhood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I'm having trouble using up the ads before they expire- I can only
go to HF so many times in a week.

Take a fashion tip from the women, and accessorize. A hat, a vest, a
stick-on mustache. Just go through the line several times with a
different look.

Women accessorize with a stick-on mustache?

Must suck to live in your neighborhood.

I don't really live in a 'hood, but it does suck to live in this town.
Can't leave the house without seeing 100 drop dead gorgeous women. It's
torturous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Hasn't yet happened in my market. Please weigh them on a scale,
compared to known alkalines. I suspect they are just doing a clever
packaging job. I suspect you're being given carbon zinc cells like
usual.

Bought the 2pack of LED flashlights (sames as the freebie singles) with a coupon
a couple weeks ago. Came with "Envopak" AAAs, whatever they are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Magnetic, good idea. The old carbon zincs, the zinc casing isn't
magnetic. I usually tell by weight. Alkalines are heavier.

I've also found out that taking carbon zinc cells apart, releases the
black, messy manganese dioxide. And makes my Mom yell at me. The
carbon rod in the center is neat, for sidewalk chalk.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...

Yes,that's what I got,and I was wrong,they still are carbon-zines.
I saw an expiration date on the bottoms and I didn't recall seeing
ex.dates
on any CZ cells.

another indicator is that the alkaline cell bodies are magnetic,the CZ
are
not,just their ends.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's fun, is to look at the Harbor Freight UK web site. There, they
sell UK sounding names like Sheffield, and bother. Can't think of the
other. Cambridge?
Coupons: http://www.stingier.com/online-coupons/harborfreight/

Astounding! I figured it was a Chinese front company. But....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbor_Freight_Tools

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

Bought the 2pack of LED flashlights (sames as the freebie singles)
with a coupon
a couple weeks ago. Came with "Envopak" AAAs, whatever they are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"John Gilmer" wrote:

The operative question should be:

Once a factory is set up, how much more does it co$t to make an
alkaline cell than a "conventional" cell?

Batteries, like everything, are made in China. For a free flashlight,
the operative question is, how much does it cost to stick an
"alkaline" label on a carbon zinc battery?

Depends on whether they get busted for it. It's probably an EPA offense, if
nothing else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Magnetic, good idea. The old carbon zincs, the zinc casing isn't
magnetic. I usually tell by weight. Alkalines are heavier.

I've also found out that taking carbon zinc cells apart, releases the
black, messy manganese dioxide. And makes my Mom yell at me. The
carbon rod in the center is neat, for sidewalk chalk.

I thought they were for electric arcs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 11:58*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
You are far too kind with your theory. Some bean counter is buying
batteries for remotes. A month's batteries cost $100 to buy carbons,
and $500 if they buy alkalines. So, they buy the carbons. Now, you
really think that's cause they work better?

The most telling example of this syndrome was found in the novel "Cyberbook"
by Ben Bova.

In that story, a bean-counter at a publishing house found that the company
could save five cents per hundredweight on the glue used for paperback
books. Unfortunately, the new glue broke down when exposed to temperatures
in excess of ninety degrees, as it would in the back of a UPS truck, and
caused all the pages to fall out. But that wasn't the worst part.

When the employees in the receiving department of the target bookstores
opened the cartons, a mind-altering gas from the decomposition of the glue
wafted out which, in turn, caused all the hippies to strip naked and run
through the store shouting "French people are burning me with cigarettes!"

There is nothing scarier than a naked hippie!

"There is nothing scarier than a naked hippie! "

I don't know...when I think back to (not) growing up in the '60's, I
found naked hippies to more fun than scary. Mainly the female ones, of
course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

There is nothing scarier than a naked hippie!

"There is nothing scarier than a naked hippie! "

I don't know...when I think back to (not) growing up in the '60's, I
found naked hippies to more fun than scary. Mainly the female ones, of
course.

Oh, I agree. But back then - after beatniks and before hippies - things were
different. Just look, today, at one of the girls you admired back then.

I'll bet your standards have changed.

Flashlights, old style, hundreds of them... Existential Angst Home Repair 67 April 16th 10 04:50 AM
Better Flashlights DemoDisk Home Repair 54 March 19th 10 05:33 PM
Mag LED Flashlights Erik Metalworking 21 January 11th 06 10:48 PM
LED flashlights? Grant Erwin Metalworking 55 September 2nd 05 05:29 AM
OT, Sorta-LED flashlights... AL A. Metalworking 69 November 18th 03 04:15 AM