Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lennox furnace problem: ballpark cost to fix?

I do already have a service call scheduled for Thursday morning, but I
wouldn't mind having a rough idea how much the problem might cost to fix.

It's an 8-yr-old Lennox G32 that we turned on (that is, we switched the
thermostat from Cool to Heat) a couple of days ago. We hear the blower
start up, but it stops a few minutes later without the set temperature
having been reached.

The LED indicators show that the burner has not ignited, and there is a
strange noise when the blower is running -- not exactly a rattle, but it
sounds as though something may be rubbing/scraping against something else.

I know that the HVAC company we've called advertises furnace inspections
for $69, but I don't know how much time that covers, and obviously it
wouldn't cover any needed parts.

Any intelligent estimates?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I do already have a service call scheduled for Thursday morning, but I
wouldn't mind having a rough idea how much the problem might cost to fix.

It's an 8-yr-old Lennox G32 that we turned on (that is, we switched the
thermostat from Cool to Heat) a couple of days ago. We hear the blower
start up, but it stops a few minutes later without the set temperature
having been reached.

The LED indicators show that the burner has not ignited, and there is a
strange noise when the blower is running -- not exactly a rattle, but it
sounds as though something may be rubbing/scraping against something else.

I know that the HVAC company we've called advertises furnace inspections
for $69, but I don't know how much time that covers, and obviously it
wouldn't cover any needed parts.

Any intelligent estimates?

Perce

Can't give you an estimate, but I have a question and suggestion.
First most furnaces go into a lock down mode if they fail to start
properly after something like three tries. If your furnace is in lock
down mode, you should turn off the power to the furnace for about five
minutes and try it again. NOT the thermostat, but the power to the
furnace. It might just start.

You say you hear a noise when the blower is running. By blower you
mean the inducer fan for the exhaust?? Not the blower that circulates
heated and cooled air in your house??

If the inducer fan is not functioning properly, that could well be the
reason your furnace will not light. Determine where the noise is coming
from.

Finally, nothing is cheap to fix if a service man visits your home. At
least not that I am aware of. List more info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 11:41*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
I do already have a service call scheduled for Thursday morning, but I
wouldn't mind having a rough idea how much the problem might cost to fix.

It's an 8-yr-old Lennox G32 that we turned on (that is, we switched the
thermostat from Cool to Heat) a couple of days ago. We hear the blower
start up, but it stops a few minutes later without the set temperature
having been reached.

The LED indicators show that the burner has not ignited, and there is a
strange noise when the blower is running -- not exactly a rattle, but it
sounds as though something may be rubbing/scraping against something else..

I know that the HVAC company we've called advertises furnace inspections
for $69, but I don't know how much time that covers, and obviously it
wouldn't cover any needed parts.

Any intelligent estimates?

Perce

Unlike A/C the furnace has to have a clear exhaust and a vacuum switch
prevents ignition. I'm betting you have a clogged PVC vent (leaves or
rodent nest).
The blower is the same...so maybe the crap is scraping the exhaust gas
fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/05/10 03:05 pm, Ken wrote:

[...]

had tried that already.

You say you hear a noise when the blower is running. By blower you mean
the inducer fan for the exhaust?? Not the blower that circulates heated
and cooled air in your house??

If the inducer fan is not functioning properly, that could well be the
reason your furnace will not light. Determine where the noise is coming
from.

Yes, the inducer fan. I did not know that term before. In the meantime I
had googled "Lennox G32" and found one report of water in the inducer
fan housing. That had been my first impression of the sound (but I
discounted it and didn't mention it because I couldn't see how water
could have got in there), so I removed the rubber "flue transition" and
found a lot of water accumulated there and in the fan assembly. Any
simple way to get rid of the water? And figure out how it got there? And
even be able to solve the problem without the service call?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/05/10 03:06 pm, Bob Villa wrote:

[...]

See my response to Ken: water, not leaves or rodent nest.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 10/05/10 03:05 pm, Ken wrote:

[...]

Well it seems you have found your problem. I would assume the water is
coming in from the exhaust flue via the stack going through your roof.
It should have a cover on it that prevents water entering the flue. You
need to correct this situation.

As for removing the water, it really depends upon how the inducer fan
is mounted. Generally loosening the ducting should provide a way. I
might suggest using a syringe to remove water that has settled in a low
area. A turkey baster works well for this if you put a rubber hose over
the end of it.

So your immediate problem is to remove the water, and then you need to
look at the flue to see if the cover where it goes through the roof is
preventing water from entering. You might very well have avoided a
expensive service call if the water has not damaged the inducer. Let us
know how you make out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solved. Was: Lennox furnace problem: ballpark cost to fix?

On 10/05/10 05:05 pm, Ken wrote:

[...]

Not water (e.g., rain) coming in but condensate not getting out due to a
blockage in the condensate drainage system (common on this model, it
seems). (Our inlet and exhaust pipes are horizontal, anyway, and come
out through the end wall of the house.) I disconnected the drain tube
and an elbow that is particularly prone to blockage and flushed them
out. I then removed the inducer fan (just four screws), tipped out the
water, and put everything together again.

Right now everything is working fine.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 10/05/10 05:05 pm, Ken wrote:

[...]

Good to hear you solved your problem. Since each maker of furnaces has
a different design for their product, it is difficult to envision just
how they have everything connected.
For what it is worth, the thermostat first calls for heat. Next the
inducer starts and if the switch meant to detect a pressure change in
the flue senses the inducer running, the igniter is activated and then
the gas is opened. There are other safety checks, but that is roughly
the sequence.

You just saved yourself a couple hundred dollars, at least.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:05:44 -0500, Ken wrote:

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 10/05/10 03:05 pm, Ken wrote:

[...]

A relatively common fix on PVC stacks is a "U" bend causing the
exhaust to vent DOWN and making it virtually impossible for water to
get in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 2:06*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
On Oct 5, 11:41*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I do already have a service call scheduled for Thursday morning, but I
wouldn't mind having a rough idea how much the problem might cost to fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look for a drain (rubber tube) from the inducer to where the other
water is draining. Could be clogged.

90% furnaces condense the water out of the flue gasses, so they (90
percenter furnaces) need a drain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

Yes, the inducer fan. I did not know that term before. In the meantime
had googled "Lennox G32" and found one report of water in the inducer
fan housing. That had been my first impression of the sound (but I
discounted it and didn't mention it because I couldn't see how water
could have got in there), so I removed the rubber "flue transition"
and
found a lot of water accumulated there and in the fan assembly. Any
simple way to get rid of the water? And figure out how it got there?
And
even be able to solve the problem without the service call?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sure the techs on alt.hvac would be screaming now, that a home
owner fixed his own furnace. I'm happy for you. And sad for a service
company that lost a call.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
Ballpark cost of basic new bathroom? Eddy[_2_] UK diy 23 January 19th 08 09:16 PM
Ballpark Cost for Dishwasher Installation phaeton Home Repair 4 October 29th 07 06:53 PM
Ballpark cost of Heating and AC installation Ez Home Repair 4 April 21st 06 01:12 AM
Ballpark cost on driveway? Jim Beaver Home Repair 11 January 11th 05 11:28 PM