Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ballpark Cost for Dishwasher Installation

Hello.

We have a new Maytag dishwasher (well, new as of a year ago) that is
still sitting in the kitchen, not hooked up. I have never installed a
dishwasher, and this house has never had one, so this will entail
cutting up cabinets, doing some plumbing, wiring, and such. This is
above and beyond what I am comfortable doing myself, so I am going to
hire a professional to do it right. I might have them install a
garbage disposal while they're at it. I'll buy the disposal myself if
that is the case. I'll probably just let the installer bring/buy any
necessary parts such as plumbing valves/tees, hoses, cords, wire,
electrical boxes, etc. There is an Ace Hardware 2 blocks down the
street but all the big box stores are about 25-30 minutes away. So
I'll be paying whatever is the going markup of parts (and I'm ok with
that). I assume that when you ask for a quote the installer will come
out and see what you have, what you need, and will show up with
everything on the day the job gets done.

So, what's a good ballpark number? I know that regional prices differ
(I'm near Madison WI), and I'm still going to get two or three quotes
before doing anything. It's just that I have no idea what this could
run, be it $500 or $5000. I just need an idea, so when the quotes
come in I will know what's realistic and what's not.

Thanks.

Any other suggestions are fine.

-ph

Posted to alt.home.repair

"phaeton" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'll probably just let the installer bring/buy any
necessary parts such as plumbing valves/tees, hoses, cords, wire,
electrical boxes, etc. There is an Ace Hardware 2 blocks down the
street but all the big box stores are about 25-30 minutes away. So
I'll be paying whatever is the going markup of parts (and I'm ok with
that). I assume that when you ask for a quote the installer will come
out and see what you have, what you need, and will show up with
everything on the day the job gets done.

So, what's a good ballpark number? I know that regional prices differ
(I'm near Madison WI), and I'm still going to get two or three quotes
before doing anything. It's just that I have no idea what this could
run, be it $500 or $5000. I just need an idea, so when the quotes
come in I will know what's realistic and what's not.

There are any factors. The hot water line will probably be tapped under the
sink.
Yes, this is a good time to put in a disposal as the drain line had to have
a drain fitting anyway
Electric depends on access to the nearest usable circuit. If the kitchen is
above an unfinished basement, that makes it easier.
Is there a 24' cabinet next to the sink?

I'd say anywhere from $200 to $500 is reasonable, depending on the kitchen
layout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 8:24 pm, phaeton wrote:
[...]

There are so many things we don't know that I doubt any estimate will
help.

Let's assume you are going to get a true professional who is going to
ensure that it is all done to code...

Is there enough capacity in the electrical service for the addition of
the circuit(s) required for both the dishwasher and disposer?

Is the plumbing laid out in such a manner that getting hot water to
the unit and hooking up the drain will be "easy"?

Are the current drains in good enough shape to handle the "thicker"
waste that the disposer will produce? The estimated cost of having my
mom's disposer installed doubled because they had to replace 6' of
galvanized drain with PVC. I wish I lived nearby so I could have done
it for her.

Will it be simple to remove a single cabinet unit or will it required
a skilled carpenter to ensure proper fit and finish? I have stick
built cabinets and it would not be a simple job to make room for a
dishwasher - assuming I didn't already have one.

What will be the impact on the counter once the cabinet is removed?

I guess the easy answer is "It could be $500 or $5000." Well, OK,
$5000 might be a bit much, but the range of costs depends on the range
of work. Give us a better idea of what will be required, and we can
give you a better estimate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"phaeton" wrote in message

[...]

-ph- Hide quoted text -

You've piqued my curiosity. Please explain.

Is roughing in for a dishwasher something that is typically done in
new construction, even if one won't be installed? Are you talking
about "generic" kitchens like a Ryan home with limited kitchen layout
options, or even with custom kitchen designs? i.e. as part of the
kitchen design process someone decides where the dishwasher would go
and installs the cabinets and plumbing to accomodate it later?

I'm truly curious...