Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet questions

Do all modern toilet tanks have overflow tubes?
I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my
toilet started to drip in the tank.
I'll be gone for a while so drips can quickly get out of hand before
you know it.

If it has an overflow tube I should be OK until I get get to it.
BTW, this toilet is 12 years old now.
How do you stop a drip on the handle part?
Will I need to call a plumber?

It's a very slow, irregular drip, maybe once every 5 seconds or more.
TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 7:43*am, wrote:
Do all modern toilet tanks have overflow tubes?
I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my
toilet *started to drip in the tank.
I'll be gone for a while so drips can quickly get out of hand before
you know it.

If it has an overflow tube I should be OK until I get get to it.
BTW, this toilet is 12 years old now.
How do you stop a drip on the handle part?
Will I need to call a plumber?

It's a very slow, irregular drip, maybe once every 5 seconds or more.
TIA

I have noticed a tendency for toilets to have no overflow. Excess
water goes down the flush pipe into the bowl instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 1:43*am, wrote:
Do all modern toilet tanks have overflow tubes?
I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my
toilet *started to drip in the tank.
I'll be gone for a while so drips can quickly get out of hand before
you know it.

If it has an overflow tube I should be OK until I get get to it.
BTW, this toilet is 12 years old now.
How do you stop a drip on the handle part?
Will I need to call a plumber?

It's a very slow, irregular drip, maybe once every 5 seconds or more.
TIA

If it is dripping from the flush handle it is over filling and the
fill valve needs repaired or replaced. If it has a turn off at the
house side of the flex tube it would be wise to turn it off until
repairs can be made.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 9:00*am, willshak wrote:
wrote the following:

Do all modern toilet tanks have overflow tubes?
I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my
toilet *started to drip in the tank.
I'll be gone for a while so drips can quickly get out of hand before
you know it.

If it has an overflow tube I should be OK until I get get to it.
BTW, this toilet is 12 years old now.
How do you stop a drip on the handle part?
Will I need to call a plumber?

It's a very slow, irregular drip, maybe once every 5 seconds or more.
TIA

12 year old toilets have an overflow tube..
There can't be a drip on the handle if it has a working overflow tube.
The top of the tube is below the level of the handle.

Depends, if the overflow tube was replaced and not cut off to the
proper length, (which happens a lot) it can still spill out the flush
handle hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 2:43*am, wrote:
Do all modern toilet tanks have overflow tubes?
I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my
toilet *started to drip in the tank.
I'll be gone for a while so drips can quickly get out of hand before
you know it.

If it has an overflow tube I should be OK until I get get to it.
BTW, this toilet is 12 years old now.
How do you stop a drip on the handle part?
Will I need to call a plumber?

It's a very slow, irregular drip, maybe once every 5 seconds or more.
TIA

"my toilet started to drip in the tank."

You said it's dripping *in* the tank. Where *in* the tank is it
dripping to/from?

"How do you stop a drip on the handle part?"

What do you mean by a drip *on* the handle part?

"I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my
toilet started to drip"

I gotta ask...if your toilet was dripping/leaking/whatever, why didn't
you turn it off before you went on vacation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 10:29 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I guess this is as good a place to jump in with my reply as there was
overlap in many of the responses.

"my toilet started to drip in the tank."

You said it's dripping *in* the tank. Where *in* the tank is it
dripping to/from?

I took off the lid and saw water dripping from a place near the
handle mechanism. I can't pinpoint the location because I don't know
toilet terminology and wasn't able to take a pic because of time
restrictions.
It was dripping from this handle spot into the tank water below it.

"How do you stop a drip on the handle part?"

What do you mean by a drip *on* the handle part?

See above.

"I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my
toilet started to drip"

I gotta ask...if your toilet was dripping/leaking/whatever, why didn't
you turn it off before you went on vacation?

As I mentioned, everything happened very quickly and I had no time to
think about what to do. I honestly would need help to even find out
how to shut down the water to the tank. I'm a plumbing dummy.
In retrospect shutting off the water would have been the safest/
smartest thing to do, but I can't do it now because I'm on my long
vacation.
I can alert my neighbour to check the bathroom, as he will be coming
over once a week to check on other things.

toilet: after installation questions Tom[_33_] Home Repair 5 June 15th 10 01:57 AM
Toilet Problems/Questions help! Home Repair 18 May 2nd 06 02:17 PM
toilet questions Joe Home Repair 6 October 11th 05 09:58 PM
Toilet rough-in questions Wayne Whitney Home Repair 2 January 18th 04 02:34 PM
Toilet Plumbing Questions TheScullster UK diy 17 November 4th 03 10:12 AM