Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky 2x4

I have a 2x4 leaking inside my bedroom wall at home. I took off the
paneling and I can see a tiny nail hole where the water is coming
from. It's right in the middle of the 2x4, about 3 feet from the
floor, and it's shooting out from the wall about 6 feet in a tiny
stream. It looks like a guy ****ing. The water is cold, so I guess
this must be a cold water 2x4. It fills a 5 gallon pail about every
45 minutes day and night, and has been doing this for several weeks.
No one can get any sleep because we have to keep dumping the pail. I
checked and there are no pipes or wires in the wall. It's just that
2x4, so I am guessing that this 2x4 is used to supply water to the
house.

I tried to put a nail in the hole but it pops right back out from the
pressure. How do I fix this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2010 11:52 PM, wrote:
I have a 2x4 leaking inside my bedroom wall at home. I took off the
paneling and I can see a tiny nail hole where the water is coming
from. It's right in the middle of the 2x4, about 3 feet from the
floor, and it's shooting out from the wall about 6 feet in a tiny
stream. It looks like a guy ****ing. The water is cold, so I guess
this must be a cold water 2x4. It fills a 5 gallon pail about every
45 minutes day and night, and has been doing this for several weeks.
No one can get any sleep because we have to keep dumping the pail. I
checked and there are no pipes or wires in the wall. It's just that
2x4, so I am guessing that this 2x4 is used to supply water to the
house.

I tried to put a nail in the hole but it pops right back out from the
pressure. How do I fix this?

Install a 2X4 drain line. There are several manufacturers producing
them with some even producing a behind the paneling/sheet rock hidden
model. Some folks have taken advantage of the free source of water to
irrigate their lawns and gardens. Since the "wood water" is
exceptionally pure there are people who use it during the summer months
to spray on to their air conditioner condenser to increase cooling
capacity. It also can be used to make the most wonderful ice cubes that
do not have that woody taste. You are most fortunate to be blessed with
wood water.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Use a galvanized deck screw, instead of the nail.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I have a 2x4 leaking inside my bedroom wall at home. I took off the
paneling and I can see a tiny nail hole where the water is coming
from. It's right in the middle of the 2x4, about 3 feet from the
floor, and it's shooting out from the wall about 6 feet in a tiny
stream. It looks like a guy ****ing. The water is cold, so I guess
this must be a cold water 2x4. It fills a 5 gallon pail about every
45 minutes day and night, and has been doing this for several weeks.
No one can get any sleep because we have to keep dumping the pail. I
checked and there are no pipes or wires in the wall. It's just that
2x4, so I am guessing that this 2x4 is used to supply water to the
house.

I tried to put a nail in the hole but it pops right back out from the
pressure. How do I fix this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:52:58 -0500, treasurer wrote:

I have a 2x4 leaking inside my bedroom wall at home. I took off the
paneling and I can see a tiny nail hole where the water is coming from.
It's right in the middle of the 2x4, about 3 feet from the floor, and
it's shooting out from the wall about 6 feet in a tiny stream. It looks
like a guy ****ing. The water is cold, so I guess this must be a cold
water 2x4. It fills a 5 gallon pail about every 45 minutes day and
night, and has been doing this for several weeks.

Years ago, I lived in a rented house which developed a leak (although
this was a water leak, not a wooden one). We channeled the leak into a
bucket using a garbage bag and duct tape, then made up a float connected
to a switch so that it would trigger when the bucket was nearly full. The
pump was an old car windshield washer assembly, and every time the bucket
filled up, it would pump the water out through the back door of the house.

I don't recall what we used for a power supply now - it was either a car
battery charger or a junk PC PSU, but I don't remember for sure which.

It ran like that for a long time. I think that the house was a bit of a
mess from too many parties, so the last thing we wanted was the landlord
coming round to actually fix the leak.

cheers

Jules

Leaky TRV VisionSet UK diy 3 December 22nd 06 01:18 PM
Leaky tap - how to fix? mo UK diy 17 September 2nd 06 04:36 PM
A Leaky Faucet Jeff Home Repair 2 June 26th 06 12:43 PM
Leaky roof? balboni Home Repair 2 March 14th 06 10:07 PM
Leaky tap John Smith UK diy 14 September 1st 04 09:58 PM