Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cleaning mold...

Although I don't want clean mold, I want gone mold

I've got a patch on one of the concrete basement walls that I want to get
rid of, prior to painting the wall with moisture-sealer. A professional
cleaning company at my wife's work said that bleach isn't so good though,
and that Dawn is far more effective - is there any truth to that? My
natural instinct would have been to use a bleach solution...

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote the following:
Although I don't want clean mold, I want gone mold

I've got a patch on one of the concrete basement walls that I want to get
rid of, prior to painting the wall with moisture-sealer. A professional
cleaning company at my wife's work said that bleach isn't so good though,
and that Dawn is far more effective - is there any truth to that? My
natural instinct would have been to use a bleach solution...

cheers

Jules

power washer with detergent

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dawn soap with out a little bleach won't kill mold spores. If you use a
little dawn with the bleach and water the soap help it stick to the
surface.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:39:58 -0700, Joe wrote:
Given that mold organisms are living things, seems logical that the
rougher chemical is better for killing the colonies. My vote's for
bleach.

Yeah, that was my thinking too. I wish I knew why these guys said Dawn
was better. Maybe it's some crappy health and safety thing and they're
worried about using bleach in confined spaces, so the Dawn does a worse
job but is less risky in their eyes...

In any event, you need a good clean surface for your concrete
treatment.

Yeah, the sealer/paint I was looking at the other day contained something
to help prevent mold re-growth, but it didn't say anything about whether
it could be applied straight on top of existing mold ;-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 12:49*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
Although I don't want clean mold, I want gone mold *

I've got a patch on one of the concrete basement walls that I want to get
rid of, prior to painting the wall with moisture-sealer. A professional
cleaning company at my wife's work said that bleach isn't so good though,
and that Dawn is far more effective - is there any truth to that? My
natural instinct would have been to use a bleach solution...

cheers

Jules

No you need Bleach to kill is, Bleach removes the plants oxygen,
detergent cleans up after

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Although I don't want clean mold, I want gone mold

I've got a patch on one of the concrete basement walls that I want
to get rid of, prior to painting the wall with moisture-sealer. A
professional cleaning company at my wife's work said that bleach
isn't so good though, and that Dawn is far more effective - is there
any truth to that? My natural instinct would have been to use a
bleach solution...

cheers

Jules

No you need Bleach to kill is, Bleach removes the plants oxygen,
detergent cleans up after

bleach doesn't remove the oxygen. the chlorine oxidizes the proteins it is
made of, causing it to die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/21/2010 1:49 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

Although I don't want clean mold, I want gone mold

I've got a patch on one of the concrete basement walls that I want to get
rid of, prior to painting the wall with moisture-sealer. A professional
cleaning company at my wife's work said that bleach isn't so good though,
and that Dawn is far more effective - is there any truth to that? My
natural instinct would have been to use a bleach solution...

cheers

Jules

A couple of yr ago, the home inspector found mold in a house I was
selling. ("Real" mold, like the kind I had to hire a mold remediator for
and then get another set of tests run to verify it had been removed).
The company used this stuff:
http://www.serumsystem.com/theserumsystem.html . It's basically peroxide
and bubbled the mold out from the walls (in my case wood, so I don't
know if concrete makes a diff). Then they could vacuum it off.