Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clothes Washer TIMER -- Replace?

I have a six-year-old Whirlpool Direct Driver clothes washer (top
load).

Recently, we've noticed on occassion -- not all the time, maybe one
time out of seven -- the machine goes through the regular wash cycle
and then "automatically" proceeds to the "extra rinse" cycle, which it
completes perfectly, before shutting off.

Now, supposedly, WE HUMANS are supposed to turn on this extra rinse if
we see the need. So, either this machine has educated itself over the
years, or there is some problem.

Working through my repair books, as well as checking out the web, it
seems as if the timer may be the culprit. Said timer is about $80. I
really don't feel like spending that unless I need to.

So, understanding that my electrical skills are limited, is there a
possibility that I just need to clean a connection on the wires, or
something like that? I could PROBABLY handle that much. And, I could
probably handle replacing the timer outright if I really need to.

If I do nothing, what's the worst that will happen -- it will stop
working? As long as I don't have a flood and it doesn't damage more
parts, I don't mind being without the washer for a few days until I
replace the timer when and if it comes to that.

Thoughts?

Tim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:42:29 -0700 (PDT), tim birr
wrote:

[...]

I can't take credit for this, but someone here made the claim that
it's almost never the timer -- I was telling my Dad this just after he
ordered a timer for his washer. Sure enough, his issue turned out to
be a faulty lid switch, and he returned the timer. The
timer/controller takes in many different sensor inputs to
advance/stall.

Is this a mechanical cycle timer? How does it get from the wash cycle
to the extra rinse? Does it move directly over to the extra rinse
section, or wait for about as long as the regular rinse would take?
You need to figure out what sensors it may be waiting for/using to
think it already rinsed.

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have a Kenmore(Whirlpool) washer. There is a separate rinse knob on
the control panel. It has only two positions - One Rinse/Two Rinse.
If set at One Rinse, it stops after the one rinse. If set at Two Rinse
it continues after the One Rinse stop position on the control panel and
does a second rinse, and then stops. If there is anything wrong, I would
suspect that it is with this One Rinse/Two Rinse control.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 11:13*am, willshak wrote:
I have a Kenmore(Whirlpool) washer. There is a separate rinse knob on
the control panel. It has only two positions - One Rinse/Two Rinse.
If set at One Rinse, it stops after the one rinse. If set at Two Rinse
it continues after the One Rinse stop position on the control panel and
does a second rinse, and then stops. If there is anything wrong, I would
suspect that it is with this One Rinse/Two Rinse control.

OP again....Washer controls are mechanical -- not digital -- Washer
does have this separate rinse selector knob. However, on mine it is
labeled as "Extra Rinse," and you can click it to "OFF" or "ON." We
have never moved it from OFF. You can initiate the "extra rinse,"
without touching that separate rinse knob by just moving the timer
selector itself after the main cycle completes.

For those interested, here's a link to diagram of the controls.
Number 9 is the timer....Number 37 is the rinse knob that Will is
talking about:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...3546#d953 546

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...?model_id=5150...

Posted to alt.home.repair

tim birr wrote the following:
On Sep 17, 11:13 am, willshak wrote:
On Sep 17, 11:13 am, willshak wrote:

I have a Kenmore(Whirlpool) washer. There is a separate rinse knob on
the control panel. It has only two positions - One Rinse/Two Rinse.
If set at One Rinse, it stops after the one rinse. If set at Two Rinse
it continues after the One Rinse stop position on the control panel and
does a second rinse, and then stops. If there is anything wrong, I would
suspect that it is with this One Rinse/Two Rinse control.

OP again....Washer controls are mechanical -- not digital --

So are mine. All are turn knobs. No LED or LCD windows, no keypad.

Washer
does have this separate rinse selector knob. However, on mine it is
labeled as "Extra Rinse," and you can click it to "OFF" or "ON."

We have never moved it from OFF. You can initiate the "extra rinse,"
without touching that separate rinse knob by just moving the timer
selector itself after the main cycle completes.

For those interested, here's a link to diagram of the controls.
Number 9 is the timer....Number 37 is the rinse knob that Will is
talking about:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...?model_id=5150...

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tim birr" wrote We have never moved it from OFF.
You can initiate the "extra rinse,"
without touching that separate rinse knob by just moving the timer
selector itself after the main cycle completes.

For those interested, here's a link to diagram of the controls.
Number 9 is the timer....Number 37 is the rinse knob that Will is
talking about:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...?model_id=5150...

May be the timer, may be the rinse switch. Given the cost of it all, I'd
probably let it do the extra rinse. Check to see that all connections are
clean and no corrosion around the contacts, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 5:20*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"tim birr" wrote We have never moved it from OFF..
You can initiate the "extra rinse,"

without touching that separate rinse knob by just moving the timer
selector itself after the main cycle completes.

For those interested, here's a link to diagram of the controls.
Number 9 is the timer....Number 37 is the rinse knob that Will is
talking about:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...?model_id=5150....

May be the timer, may be the rinse switch. Given the cost of it all, I'd
probably let it do the extra rinse. *Check to see that all connections are
clean and no corrosion around the contacts, etc.

I'd check the extra rinse switch and wiring first for continuity and
see what it's doing. If it's not the switch, then it would seem
likely it is the timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 8:28*pm, wrote:
On Sep 17, 5:20*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"tim birr" wrote We have never moved it from OFF.
You can initiate the "extra rinse,"

without touching that separate rinse knob by just moving the timer
selector itself after the main cycle completes.

For those interested, here's a link to diagram of the controls.
Number 9 is the timer....Number 37 is the rinse knob that Will is
talking about:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...?model_id=5150...

May be the timer, may be the rinse switch. Given the cost of it all, I'd
probably let it do the extra rinse. *Check to see that all connections are
clean and no corrosion around the contacts, etc.

I'd check the extra rinse switch and wiring first for continuity and
see what it's doing. * *If it's not the switch, then it would seem
likely it is the timer.

I tried your link, it didn't work. I need the link to see how the
machine normally shuts off if the extra rinse switch is open, which
should disable the timer after the one rinse. We have what appears to
be the identical Sears machine,

I would take the panel cover off and watch the timer as it gets to the
end of a regular wash cycle and see if it continues to move after it
reaches the end of a regular wash with no extra rinse selected. If it
continues to move, I would give it a pretty good rap nar the timer
with a hammer and a wooden bar, hitting the wooden bar with the other
end placed somewhere very close to the timer. IF the timer stops
moving after the rap, you may have a sticking contact in the timer. I
would try this a few times to see if the rapping makes any
difference. What frequently happens is that there is an arcing when
the contacts open at the end of the cycle. This melts a little
contact metal each time the timer goes thru its cycle. If the molten
metal from the arcing builds up, it can create a non-smooth surface,
and eventually the peaks and pits stick together. if you give it a
good rap when the contacts are stuck closed and trying to open, you
may tear off a miinute amount of metal that is where there is
sticking, and the timer will act normally for an unknown period of
time.

I have a furnace fan plenum temperature switch that does stick once or
twice a year, a good bang seems to clear things up for at least 6
months. This has been going on for at least 15 years, when it
finally doesn't respond, then I will have to get a new switch. But in
the meantime I am saving some $$.