Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best kitchen counter?

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:50:23 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
I have to replace the deteriorated tiles around my sink, so might as
well redo the whole counter. A while back I researched extensively,
but maybe technology has moved on?

I want sturdiness and easy care, not the delicate kind that dings or
cracks if something is dropped on it. And definitely STAIN-proof!
However, I probably can't go for the very high-end stuff unless its
value is really worth the price. Aesthetics, yes, but primarily
utilitarian.

When researching earlier, my head used to spin with all the
conflicting claims. Surely there is an outside evaluation that truly
sets forth the plusses& minuses?

I figured the gurus here have done their share of installing kitchen
counters, whether professionally or DIY, and have gotten feedback from
their respective SWMBOs.

Any guidance appreciated.

HB

Home Depot laminated countertops do the job. I install a new one with
matching backsplash material. Looks great, cleans up nice.

That's probably what I'll use. Some kind of laminate.
For the OP, do you ask yourself or your wife these kind of question?

"Hey honey, I'm going over to Home Depot. Think I'll stop by that
jewelry store next door. You want a big diamond ring or will jade
do?"

"Hey honey, I'm going over to Home Depot. Think I'll stop at a couple
car dealerships to order a replacement car for your 4 mile commute.
Should I stop at the Mercedes dealer or the Chevrolet dealer?"

You happen upon a gal wearing a jade ring.
Ask her if she's happy with it.
Now, let's say you happen upon a gal wearing a 3 karat diamond ring.
Ask her if she's happy with it.

Do the same when you get the chance to ask a Mercedes driver and Chevy
driver.

Nine out of ten times you'll get the same "Yes" answer.
The sellers of the rings and cars will both say their customers are
happy with the choice they made.
Ask a guy who sells both Mercedes and Chevy what you should buy from
him.

My Chevy is 13 years old. Runs good but rust is starting to show.
Our formica countertops are 50 years old. Look brand new.
My wife usually wipes up spills pretty quick and doesn't often put hot
pans on the countertop.
She has dish rags and paper towels and trivets.

Much comes down to what "status" you want and how much you'll spend
for it. Granite looks good, and so do 3 karat diamonds and Mercedes.

Here's a link to some CR testing. I don't subscribe anymore but this
is the kind of thing CR excels at.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...tertops-ov.htm

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no "best" material to use since it's somewhat subjective.
Personally, I'd be OK with laminate as long as it's not on
particleboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote
I strongly disagree with these results. My folks had their laminate
ruined by a little heat, and laminates are famous for letting go in
wet areas. When you consider laminates low longevity, laminates end
up costing more in the long run.

But at least they're more scratch resistant than corian.

OK, it did not work for your folks, but mine has been in this house for 30
years with no damage. I'll probably replace in an a couple of years just
to freshen up the kitchen, but not because of any damage or wear. I don't
see that costing me more than any other surface.