Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best kitchen counter?

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
I have to replace the deteriorated tiles around my sink, so might as
well redo the whole counter. A while back I researched extensively,
but maybe technology has moved on?

I want sturdiness and easy care, not the delicate kind that dings or
cracks if something is dropped on it. And definitely STAIN-proof!
However, I probably can't go for the very high-end stuff unless its
value is really worth the price. Aesthetics, yes, but primarily
utilitarian.

When researching earlier, my head used to spin with all the
conflicting claims. Surely there is an outside evaluation that truly
sets forth the plusses & minuses?

I figured the gurus here have done their share of installing kitchen
counters, whether professionally or DIY, and have gotten feedback from
their respective SWMBOs.

Any guidance appreciated.

HB

I am surprised you don't know this. You know everything else in this
quadrant of the galaxy.

The answer is "granite."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2010 11:58 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Higgs wrote in message
[...]

I have a granite table I made years ago, and it's convinced me. Cleans
up easily and is indestructible.

My new kitchen, will have granite tile. A fraction of the price of
one piece. The old was stainless steel, before that formica. Both
disappointed.

Jeff

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 11:58*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Not according to a guy I know in the business. Granite cannot be
repaired and if not sealed properly will stain and not recover.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2010 5:42 AM, Frank wrote:
On Sep 13, 11:58 pm, "Steve wrote:
"Higgs wrote in message

[...]

Not to mention it harbors bacteria and is really just a 'fad' material.
Like the stainless appliances. What a pain stainless is, i can't
imagine ANY good reason to have stainless appliances except it's 'what
everbody likes right now' . SIGH

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

Like the stainless appliances. What a pain stainless is, i can't
imagine ANY good reason to have stainless appliances except it's 'what
everbody likes right now' . SIGH

And BUTT ugly, to boot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

The answer is "granite."

But granite is so cold and unattractive. I think the only people who like it
are the same ones who like stainless steel appliances. Yuck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

==

I wouldn't use a granite kitchen counter for various reasons. We have
granite in two bathrooms and it discolors easily. We have a granite table
that stains easily too. Very pretty though.

Jim

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 12:36*pm, "JimT" wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

I've got granite next to the stove. It's a pretty wild pattern. A
mix of
browns and rusts and such. I don't think a stain would show up.
No, I don't think I'll hit it with merthiolate just to see what would
happen.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

The answer is "granite."

But granite is so cold and unattractive. I think the only people who like it
are the same ones who like stainless steel appliances. Yuck.

It comes in all sorts of colors.
I have "African Red" and I like it.
Even the table in the living room is red granite,
with two milky green/white slabs of stone as feet.
Cleans easily, I sealed it once with some floor wax,
just to be sure.
No staining problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:55:06 +0200, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

h wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

The answer is "granite."

But granite is so cold and unattractive. I think the only people who like it
are the same ones who like stainless steel appliances. Yuck.

It comes in all sorts of colors.
I have "African Red" and I like it.
Even the table in the living room is red granite,
with two milky green/white slabs of stone as feet.
Cleans easily, I sealed it once with some floor wax,
just to be sure.
No staining problems.

We have upwards of 100sq.ft. of granite in the house. I didn't sealed it; no
stains and it cleans very easily. It's great for baking. ;-)

SWMBO demanded stainless appliances, too. She cooks; her choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 8:58*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Well, thank you. That WAS a sincere compliment...wasn't it...??

The answer is "granite."

Been told that granite stains. T/F?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 5:35*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sep 13, 8:58*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

We've had upwards of 100sq.ft. in our house for two years. I didn't
seal any of it and no stains so far. I think it depends on the color
and the granite itself.