Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best kitchen counter?

On Sep 13, 11:45*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 9/13/2010 11:58 PM, Steve B wrote:

"Higgs *wrote in message
I have to replace the deteriorated tiles around my sink, so might as
well redo the whole counter. *A while back I researched extensively,
but maybe technology has moved on?

I want sturdiness and easy care, not the delicate kind that dings or
cracks if something is dropped on it. *And definitely STAIN-proof!
However, I probably can't go for the very high-end stuff unless its
value is really worth the price. *Aesthetics, yes, but primarily
utilitarian.

When researching earlier, my head used to spin with all the
conflicting claims. *Surely there is an outside evaluation that truly
sets forth the plusses& *minuses?

I figured the gurus here have done their share of installing kitchen
counters, whether professionally or DIY, and have gotten feedback from
their respective SWMBOs.

Any guidance appreciated.

HB

I am surprised you don't know this. *You know everything else in this
quadrant of the galaxy.

The answer is "granite."

I have a granite table I made years ago, and it's convinced me. Cleans
up easily and is indestructible.

* *My new kitchen, will have granite tile. A fraction of the price of
one piece. The old was stainless steel, before that formica. Both
disappointed.

Granite is very nice, but you'll be sorely disappointed with grout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:04:14 -0400, Jeff Thies wrote:

"Higgs wrote in message
[...]

I was afraid of that. No worse than ceramic tile though?

No, it'll be the same as tile, perhaps a little better because you're using
such big tiles. It defeats a some of the advantages of granite, though.

Got a deal on 18" square granite ($3/ft). I'll push the tile edges
away from the work areas.

18" isn't really enough space to roll out dough. OTOH, $3 beats $70 (and up).