Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing Basement Floor

Vic Smith wrote the following:
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:58:37 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

We're looking to finish our basement floor so the kids can have a
playroom. Right now it's just plain concrete. We were told by one
person to just put indoor/outdoor carpetting down, and glue it.
Another person suggested using DirCore tiles and carpeting on top of
that.

As far as the room goes, we currently have a crack in the wall, but we
only get moisture in really heavy rains (once every couple of years).
We were planning on sealing the crack regardless. It's not a damp
basement otherwise.

Any suggestions?

Personally, I always figure a basement is due to flood, so I would
never put anything down there that's expensive to replace.
I've had 2 "100 year" rainfalls in the last 6 years.
But you might live at an elevation where you just won't ever get your
basement flooded.
Even then, why glue the carpet down?
Just lay it on the floor, it won't go anywhere.
Stay flexible.

--Vic

I have wall to wall carpeting in the basement. No padding, no tackless
strips, no glue.
It's not even indoor-outdoor, but inexpensive broadloom.
It's just laying there and doesn't move or bunch up.
..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY