Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How often?

Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/04/10 09:44 pm, Cuda guy wrote:

Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water& sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

"If it's yellow, let it mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down."

But sometimes it just gets too smelly even without being brown.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cuda guy wrote the following:
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

Er..ah...
I have no opinion on flushing. I don't pay for sewage on a regular
basis. I do pay for the electricity for the well pump to refill the
water holding tank after flushing the toilet, and about every 4 to 6
years, a septic tank cleaning that costs around $400.
My Summer electric bill averages around $200 per month, including the
lighting, and 3 fridges, a chest freezer, central air, an inground pool,
dishwasher and clothes washers, driers, cable tv, internet, and various
lights and ceiling fans that no one seems to know how to turn off.
I'm thinking I should just take a **** in the garbage pail and let them
take it away once a week for $34.20 a month. Save the well pump
electricity cost and the septic tank cleaning service fees.

:-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote
I'm thinking I should just take a **** in the garbage pail and let them
take it away once a week for $34.20 a month. Save the well pump
electricity cost and the septic tank cleaning service fees.

:-)

Too expensive. Compost pile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cuda guy wrote:
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

Yes, of course. If you can afford a computer and the interbutts, you can
afford to flush your damn toilet.

Freak.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cuda guy" wrote in message
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Unfortunately I have the answer to that!

A friend had his water shut off because he did not have enough money to pay
the bill, and I just so happened to go visit after his water had been shut
off for a week...

And I of course needed to use the restroom... Well it looked disgusting, but
it did not smell! I would have puked if there was a smell, but no smell!

So I asked what he was doing. He said he had to haul water in to flush and
did so once a day. Then poured a little bleach in and that killed the smell.

So this can be done, however what is the cost of enough bleach to work as
opposed to the water which would be saved? How much does each flush cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cuda guy" wrote in message
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

With new toilets? Everytime you use it.

For $98 at HomeDepot you can buy a 1.1/1.6gal/flush toliet.

http://tinyurl.com/28trofd

No excuses.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 02:46:30 +0000, (DA)
wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...en-485621-.htm
DA wrote:
Cuda guy wrote:

Ok, here's a smelly subject.
How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

I think shower takes way more water that a toilet does, so it may be a
moot point unless you would also consider skipping every other shower
But you can install a dual-flush toilet. That should save some water. Not
sure about economics of it though - looks like you need to save a lot of
water to justify a new $300 toilet.

If only upgrade to dual-flush were possible but I don't think such option
exists.

The "dual-flush" thingy is part of the flapper. They can be had for a few
bucks.

Regarding the cost of water though: mine is also close to $100/month, paid
once in a quarter (half is water, then they just add the same amount for
sewer) but I suspect the municipal water co does not actually read those
meters: quarter after quarter they show the exact same amount of water. I
suspect they were never able to make that wireless reader system work and
they are just guessing it every time. If that's the case, then no matter
what I do to save some water, I'm probably going to end up paying the
same.

Ours runs $50 to $200 a month (the difference being irrigation), billed every
month. The water is really half that, and like yours, they double it for the
sewer charges. They have some deal for irrigation, but they charge a couple
of grand for an additional meter and installation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 2:44*am, "Cuda guy" wrote:
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

What you need to do is collect rainwater for flushing your toilet.
Unless of course you live in death valley.
And a duel flush toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 3:24 AM, harry wrote:
On Sep 5, 2:44 am, "Cuda wrote:
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water& sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

What you need to do is collect rainwater for flushing your toilet.
Unless of course you live in death valley.
And a duel flush toilet.

My BIL ****es out in the yard, and not just at night, or at the far ends
of the yard when he is working out there. And he is a university
professor in plant biology or something like that. Of course, their
large lot is semi- rural with a tree border, so there is no risk of the
neighbors freaking out.

The kids are starting to take after him on that, but my sister is not.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote
My BIL ****es out in the yard, and not just at night, or at the far ends
of the yard when he is working out there. And he is a university
professor in plant biology or something like that. Of course, their large
lot is semi- rural with a tree border, so there is no risk of the
neighbors freaking out.

The kids are starting to take after him on that, but my sister is not.

--
aem sends...

They did that for tens of thousands of years before the toilet was invented.
Society norms aside, it is not such a bad idea. Dogs do it too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Sep 5, 2:44 am, "Cuda guy" wrote:
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

What you need to do is collect rainwater for flushing your toilet.
Unless of course you live in death valley.
And a duel flush toilet.

That's the "Zorro" model where a robotic arm extends from the toilet holding
a fencing foil and duels you for the right to flush the toilet. "En Garde!"
There's also the Aaron Burr model, which takes a shot at you when you
attempt to flush.

Oh, you meant "dual" flush. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 9:44*pm, "Cuda guy" wrote:
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

Doesn't matter that much. Shower and appliances are your big water
costs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/04/10 09:44 pm, Cuda guy wrote:

Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water& sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then
flush?

What's your opinions on this.

"If it's yellow, let it mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down."

But sometimes it just gets too smelly even without being brown.

Perce

That's what I do. I don't wait all day if it is yellow, but
it works for an hour or 2. And if you have a family it usually
won't take that long.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They did that for tens of thousands of years before the toilet was
invented. Society norms aside, it is not such a bad idea. Dogs do it
too.

Ah, yes

In days of old, when knights were bold,
Before toilets were invented,
They dumped their load beside the road,
And went their way contented.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote
I tried to educate my family on the benefits of taking a "Navy" shower.
Wet down, then shut off the water. Soap down and scrub with a wash cloth
or sponge, then turn on the water to rinse off.
They wouldn't buy it.

Nor would I, but I'm in and out fairly quick. When my daughter was home,
I'd shut the hot water off after a time to get here out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 6:49 AM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/5/2010 3:24 AM, harry wrote:
On Sep 5, 2:44 am, "Cuda wrote:
[...]

it's the way i do it.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote
My BIL ****es out in the yard, and not just at night, or at the far
ends of the yard when he is working out there. And he is a university
professor in plant biology or something like that. Of course, their
large lot is semi- rural with a tree border, so there is no risk of
the neighbors freaking out.

The kids are starting to take after him on that, but my sister is not.

--
aem sends...

They did that for tens of thousands of years before the toilet was
invented. Society norms aside, it is not such a bad idea. Dogs do it too.

Urine is gooooooood fertilizer, pee on the peas,
http://ezinearticles.com/?Using-Huma...izer&id=392596
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"willshak" wrote
I tried to educate my family on the benefits of taking a "Navy" shower.
Wet down, then shut off the water. Soap down and scrub with a wash cloth
or sponge, then turn on the water to rinse off.
They wouldn't buy it.

Nor would I, but I'm in and out fairly quick. When my daughter was home,
I'd shut the hot water off after a time to get here out.

I can take a shower in 5 minutes. That includes washing my body, shaving my
pits and legs, and washing and conditioning waist-length hair. DH, on the
other hand, shaves in the sink prior to his shower and he's still in there
for nearly 15 minutes. Yes, his hair is longer than mine, but not by much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 00:24:55 -0700, harry wrote:

[snip]

What you need to do is collect rainwater for flushing your toilet.
Unless of course you live in death valley. And a duel flush toilet.

Dual flush is OK, but DUEL flush? What does it do, fight the sink to the
death?

--
111 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

"Scientific creationism: a religious dogma combining massive ignorance
with incredible arrogance."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 1:53 PM, Harry A wrote:
On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 00:24:55 -0700, harry wrote:

[snip]

What you need to do is collect rainwater for flushing your toilet.
Unless of course you live in death valley. And a duel flush toilet.

Dual flush is OK, but DUEL flush? What does it do, fight the sink to the
death?

I suppose it would be like a fire hose fight except one tries to
out-suck the other. I think the competition is held in San Francisco. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
DA wrote:
Cuda guy wrote:

Ok, here's a smelly subject.
How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

I think shower takes way more water that a toilet does, so it may be a
moot point unless you would also consider skipping every other shower
But you can install a dual-flush toilet. That should save some water. Not
sure about economics of it though - looks like you need to save a lot of
water to justify a new $300 toilet.

If only upgrade to dual-flush were possible but I don't think such option
exists.

Around here local governments were giving rebates on their water bills if
you purchase a dual flush toilet. Might be something to investigate
wherever you are...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05 Sep 2010 18:53:00 GMT, Harry A wrote:

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 00:24:55 -0700, harry wrote:

[snip]

What you need to do is collect rainwater for flushing your toilet.
Unless of course you live in death valley. And a duel flush toilet.

Dual flush is OK, but DUEL flush? What does it do, fight the sink to the
death?

When you sit on the throne you expect some entertainment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cuda guy wrote:
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water& sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

Every dump usually. If you leave urine in the bowl you'll have to brush
it every day or scum will build up.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 09:05:13 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They did that for tens of thousands of years before the toilet was
invented. Society norms aside, it is not such a bad idea. Dogs do it
too.

Ah, yes

In days of old, when knights were bold,
Before toilets were invented,
They dumped their load beside the road,
And went their way contented.

Go to West Africa - they still do it that way - and not just the
knights!!!
The earth STINKS something awfull.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cuda guy" wrote in message
Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month
for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a
toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

After reading many of the replies I say be happy with what you have and not
with what you want. My way of life. ww