Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How often?

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 02:46:30 +0000, (DA)
wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...en-485621-.htm
DA wrote:
Cuda guy wrote:

Ok, here's a smelly subject.
How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

I think shower takes way more water that a toilet does, so it may be a
moot point unless you would also consider skipping every other shower
But you can install a dual-flush toilet. That should save some water. Not
sure about economics of it though - looks like you need to save a lot of
water to justify a new $300 toilet.

If only upgrade to dual-flush were possible but I don't think such option
exists.

The "dual-flush" thingy is part of the flapper. They can be had for a few
bucks.

Regarding the cost of water though: mine is also close to $100/month, paid
once in a quarter (half is water, then they just add the same amount for
sewer) but I suspect the municipal water co does not actually read those
meters: quarter after quarter they show the exact same amount of water. I
suspect they were never able to make that wireless reader system work and
they are just guessing it every time. If that's the case, then no matter
what I do to save some water, I'm probably going to end up paying the
same.

Ours runs $50 to $200 a month (the difference being irrigation), billed every
month. The water is really half that, and like yours, they double it for the
sewer charges. They have some deal for irrigation, but they charge a couple
of grand for an additional meter and installation.